What we do
Since 1973, the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center (BARCC) has been a leader in the movement to end sexual violence. BARCC empowers survivors of sexual violence to heal and provides education and advocacy for the social change needed to create cultures that prevent sexual violence. We rely on our dedicated, brilliant staff to do this important work, and our team is growing!
The Marketing and Communications Coordinator will work closely with the Marketing and Communications Manager and other stakeholders to increase and bolster BARCC’s reach, engagement, and thought leadership. Drawing on their skills in online communication and results analysis, this person will implement and evaluate communications strategies to further BARCC’s mission of ending sexual violence through healing and social change. The coordinator will also build digital and print content in house using graphic design, videography, writing, and photography.
Where and when you’ll work
BARCC's staff, operations, hours, and locations vary by function, type of work, and work style. You’ll primarily work from our Cambridge office, located at 99 Bishop Allen Drive in Central Square with very occasional travel to our offices in Boston and Waltham.
This is a 40-hour, full-time position, Monday through Friday. Very occasional evening and weekend hours required for special events. BARCC is open to discussing options such as flexibility in scheduling and occasional remote work.
What you’ll do
- Implement communications plans by collaboratively creating compelling and relevant content for BARCC’s off- and online communications channels. Includes social media scheduling and engagement, e-mail setup, graphic design, videography, photography, and writing.
- Assist in growing the communications program, including writing policies and checklists for processes, and developing content libraries and information streams.
- Manage BARCC’s social media presence across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
- Perform day-to-day administration (updating content, adding blog posts, creating forms, etc.) of the agency’s suite of websites, as needed.
- Support and inform organizational communications efforts with data tracking and analysis for social media, BARCC’s websites (via Google analytics), Google Adwords Express, and e-mail.
- Support internal communications efforts to facilitate interdepartmental information sharing and collaboration.
- Actively participate in communications/editorial meetings and help develop campaign communications for other departments (e.g., Development, Legislative Advocacy).
- Assist in providing communications coverage for BARCC events (very occasional nights and weekends).
- If applicable, translate content for BARCC’s off- and online communications channels into Spanish.
- Act in the best interest of the organization, reflecting the values of teamwork, collaboration, and mutual respect.
- Perform other duties as needed or directed.
- Minimum of two years of experience in communications, public relations, marketing, journalism, web design, or a related discipline (nonprofit communications a plus), through a combination of (traditional and nontraditional) work experience, education, volunteering, etc.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred
- Experience with website content management systems, social media, and mass e-mail communications
- Collaborative team approach with strong interpersonal skills
- Acute attention to detail, impeccable organization, and timely follow-through
- Capacity to learn and manage tasks
- Flexibility to quickly shift attention and reprioritize workload
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills
- Comfort using Adobe Creative Cloud preferred
- Graphic design, photography, and video production experience preferred
- Demonstrated exposure and experience in a wide range of mediums
- Ability to be a self-starter with an entrepreneurial mindset
- Commitment to BARCC’s mission and philosophy
What we offer
- The opportunity to make meaningful change and improve the lives of others through mission-driven work, at all levels of the organization.
- The most compassionate, supportive, and fun-loving colleagues around—who will shower you with warm welcomes, funny memes, and regular shout-outs for your contributions.
- An investment in your health, well-being, and professional development through competitive benefit offerings, generous time off policies, professional development funds and opportunities, and ongoing improvements to proactively manage vicarious trauma.
Starting salary range and benefits
$48,000–$52,000, depending on experience and skills. The total compensation package includes a generous benefits package, including health, dental, vacation, sick time, retirement savings, and other coverage options that you can view at barcc.org/jobs.
Hiring process and timeline
Please submit via our online application system your resume and cover letter stating your interest and related experience to be considered for this position. No phone calls please. We are accepting initial applications through October 11, 2019, but the opportunity will remain open until we find the best fit possible. The full hiring process will include a phone-screen interview, first-round in-person interview, a skills assessment, and a final team interview. Reasonable accommodation provided upon request.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
For more information about BARCC, please visit barcc.org.