Unfinished is an enterprise working to strengthen our civic life in the digital age. Founded to take action to restore our deteriorating social fabric, Unfinished focuses on three challenges: redirect technology, especially social media, to fuel collaboration over division; renew and strengthen civic institutions to accelerate inclusive problem-solving; and grow a more fair economy.
As an enterprise that integrates social impact with financial results, Unfinished’s portfolio includes a technology lab, a media initiative, an applied research institute, and an entrepreneurial network of innovators working to advance our economy, democracy and technology.
We build technology to drive new models that unite social impact with economic sustainability. Machines and code alone do not give us answers. Technology can nurture or fracture. Divide or unite. To create new models that better serve society, our code must reflect an understanding of how we, people, build relationships, collaborate, and transact. This is why we work to integrate public policy, social science, and social impact communities into technology development, at its genesis. New models begin by questioning everything. Together, we challenge status quo, from funding models to who must be involved in the most early stages of development. Even the decision about what work we take on is in response to the discomforting and urgent questions of our time. Our vision is large, yet we have only just begun. Founded in 2020, we are rapidly growing the Unfinished Labs team.
As we are in the early stages, we are looking to hire several self-motivated, talented individuals to help drive and execute on our mission. You should be purposeful, quality-driven, curious, determined, collaborative and fun.
Specifically, we are currently seeking a Senior Developer to join our team. This individual will build, extend, and maintain backend Node.JS platforms for running mobile and web apps.
- Create robust REST APIs for consumption by mobile and web clients
- Create scalable database schemas for storing, indexing, and querying
- Develop a secure and scalable platform
- Maintain code with great automated test coverage to ensure a high quality code base
- You have strong experience with Typescript and Node.js
- You also have experience using graphQL, and large scale SQL and NoSQL databases
- You love designing and building scalable, fault tolerant, and secure distributed systems
- You have developed an understanding of how to build instrumented, observable software systems
- Ideally you would have had experiences building microservices on top of Kubernetes or other container orchestration systems
- You have also had experience working with large scale SQL and NoSQL databases
- You can understand complex data structures and algorithms
- You have lead a team of nodejs developers previously (Ideal, not required)
- You have experience working with both onshore and offshore teams in different time zones.
- You have Experience with React and other front end frameworks
- Passionate about making an excellent product and never think 'That's not my job'
- Enjoy working in a small team using agile methodologies to build a culture of success
- Innovative, proactive, and highly adaptable to a rapidly evolving entrepreneurial environment.
- Operate from the perspective of no job too big or too small
- Perseverance to push through obstacles swiftly and execute across a broad range of responsibilities, while keeping an eye to the bigger picture
- Ability to navigate ambiguity and approach challenges with an entrepreneurial growth mindset
- High emotional intelligence, a low-ego and collaborate well with people from different cultures and points of view
- Inquisitive by nature and interested in working closely with the technology team to understand blockchain and other cutting-edge technologies
- Ability to work independently
- We strive to always take the high road
- We take the long view
- We are builders
- We believe in the power of collective genius above lone heroes
- We value the possibilities opened through questions
- We are us
More About Us:
At Unfinished we aspire to move the traditional paradigm for solving problems from a top-down, disconnected approach to a more democratized, stakeholder-driven model. Our network convenes a community of diverse innovators from the worlds of impact, academia (such as Georgetown University), arts and culture (such as The Shed), nonprofits (such as the Ford Foundation and Aspen Institute), and the private sector to ensure diverse and thoughtful voices are connected to solve problems.
We want to put people at the decision-making table who are most impacted by the problems we are solving. We are doing this in several ways, including convening a group of impact organizations for collective action and movement building, and supporting the renewal of existing civic institutions—and the creation of new ones—to accelerate more inclusive problem-solving. We believe that by redirecting technology to work for the common good, we can leverage it as an essential tool to scale positive change. We work to build concrete tools and models to advance ethical models for information technology.
One of our first efforts will be to change the way technology is built--and our first focus is to change the model that drives social networks. Social networks inform how we experience almost everything. We can't strengthen civic institutions, foster a more sustainable democracy, or create a fairer economy if we don't first change the model that drives social networks. We see social networks as a public good that should be owned by everyone and a key lever for strengthening our civic architecture. We are working to decentralize social networks, shift control of data and networks from private companies to citizens, lay the foundation for a new world which generates economic value for people rather than extracting economic value from users. This moves social networks from closed, proprietary spaces to open, publicly owned infrastructure on which anyone can build. This more ethical model offers the opportunity for change at scale across all dimensions of society.
The projects we take on at Unfinished Labs are chosen for their potential to drive sustainable social impact. Ultimately, our work is focused on developing and enabling new models that scale change. It’s bold, but rising to this challenge and its responsibility inspires us. Our team is connected by our drive for transparency, economic inclusion, trust, and societal benefit, which we believe is imperative to a better future for all.
We believe having diversity of perspective, professional backgrounds, identity groups and lived experience is a strength for teams and we actively encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Unfinished is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, disability, age, and familial, caregiver, or veteran status.