Measures for Justice will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require an accommodation during the hiring process, please contact Rachel Snyder at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Only candidates living in NY will be considered.
To be considered for the role, candidates must be authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship.
About Measures for Justice
Measures for Justice is a nonpartisan nonprofit organization dedicated to developing tools and services that help communities, including the institutions that serve them, reshape how the criminal justice system works. Since 2011, we have been collecting, standardizing, and publishing criminal justice data to increase transparency, accessibility, and accountability. We’re leading a movement to change the future of criminal justice.
As a Senior Software Engineer II/III at Measures for Justice, you will work closely with a scrum team to develop frontend components and coordinate content management for our product portfolio, including our flagship product Commons. You will also support the continued growth of our team by mentoring junior-level engineers through one-on-one coaching and final code reviews. Through your contributions, you will play a key role in ensuring users have access to accurate and transparent criminal justice data.
Our frontend tech stack includes Next.js, React, TypeScript, CSS modules, Material UI, Docker, AWS, GitHub Actions, Storybook, and Figma.
- Collaborate with lead engineers to design and plan improvements to our frontend code and content management system
- Implement software features according to requirements and UI mockups
- Perform code reviews that set the bar for quality and accuracy in our codebase
- Offer assistance, mentorship, and knowledge-sharing to junior-level engineers for skill enhancement
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging by modeling inclusive behaviors and proactively managing bias
- Strong experience building frontend features within the React ecosystem
- Skilled in designing and planning implementations for complex frontend features
- Knowledge of build and deploy tools
- Proven background of communicating complex technical concepts to team members
- Experience and interest in mentoring junior engineers
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning to adapt to evolving priorities
- Strong background with independent work, self-direction, and prioritization
- Experience with full-stack engineering, databases, and/or data science
- Demonstrated interest in the criminal justice system or civic technology
If you do not have the skills/experience mentioned in the bonus points section, we still encourage you to apply!
- Meaningful work that contributes to positive social change
- Collaborative and inclusive work environment fostering growth and work-life balance
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Generous paid time off, including 20 days vacation, 10 sick days, 15 paid holidays (including the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day!), and 2 days of community service
- Reduced hours on summer Fridays
- Paid parental leave
- 401k matching up to 3% of annual salary
- Professional development opportunities via Bravely, Coursera, and more
- Flexible work arrangements, including remote and hybrid work, for eligible positions
- Full technology package including computer, monitors, bluetooth devices, and more
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
Measures for Justice is committed to fostering diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging in our workplace. We strive to create a welcoming environment for people of all backgrounds by eradicating barriers to access and opportunity. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds and experiences to apply.
Measures for Justice provides equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Background checks will be conducted for candidates who receive an offer of employment and employment will be contingent on the evaluation of any information received consistent with applicable laws. Follow-up background checks will be conducted on employees after each five years of employment.