Primergy Solar, LLC is a developer, owner and operator focused on both distributed and utility scale solar PV and battery storage projects in North America. Primergy Solar features a diverse and talented team with decades of experience in renewables project development, financing, construction and operations. It is currently managing and progressing a significant portfolio of operational and development stage solar+ battery storage projects. Primergy Solar is a portfolio company of Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners and represents Quinbrook’s principal solar and solar plus energy storage investment platform in North America. Primergy is growing our small, experienced team to manage the significant growth in our business and are seeking an experienced and driven Project Engineering Manager.
We offer a fun, entrepreneurial culture, competitive compensation, and the opportunity to work with an experienced, achievement-oriented team.
Role and Responsibilities
The Project Engineering Manager is responsible for managing all project engineering activities. The Project Engineering Manager must be able to work effectively in a collaborative, fast paced environment throughout the project execution phase. They will demonstrate strong project management, development, and execution capabilities. The successful candidate will be an innovative thinker, fast-learner, collaborative team player, and self-starter with a passion for the renewable energy industry with a proven track record of success thriving in a high growth environment.
· Oversee project design for all projects that are in the execution phase for solar and battery storage including but not limited to civil, structural, electrical and SCADA design.
· Prepare and oversee project electrical designs including single line drawings, DC and AC wiring diagrams, electrical site plans and equipment layouts.
· Understand and be able to execute all supporting calculations of solar power plant design, including PV string sizing, DC, and AC conductor & conduit sizing, and tracker design & powering.
· Assure that designs are Code-compliant including familiarity with the latest updates to the NEC and NESC.
· Maintains familiarity with engineering codes and regulation as they apply to solar BESS and auxiliary equipment, including but not limited to, ASME, ANSI, AWS, API, ASTM, NFPA and NEC.
· Performs and review performance simulations to ensure project is meeting the designed targets.
· Is responsible for conducting site walks and assessing electrical interconnection.
· Meet with customers as required and provide engineering support including responding to RFI’s and evaluating and approving submittals.
· Support procurement processes, including performing technical bid evaluation to ensure compliance to specifications.
· Serves as single point of contact for EPC, Owner’s Engineer, and Customer on all technical issues related to execution of power projects.
· Monitors schedules, budgets, and estimates through completion to ensure the project finishes on time and within budget. Leads periodic reviews of engineering execution schedule, expediting of engineering teams, escalation of needs and reporting of project technical delivery status.
· Leads the planning, setup and monitoring of the project systems, inter-discipline workflows and coordination of design activities through engineering disciplines. Leads the coordination and resolution of inter-disciplinary issues.
· Manages the contracting of owner’s engineers, vendors, and sub-contractors process, ng in negotiations and up to final contracting.
· Conducts regular meetings with international engineering partners to ensure successful project implementation.
· Reviews and comments, as required, on project documents and drawings to meet contractual obligations for document flow.
· Reviews and supervises the project, including construction and testing.
· Assists in the specification, bid analysis, vendor selection, and capacity assessment for sourced equipment.
· Serves as leader of Engineering process improvement initiatives as required.
· Supports Project Managers in tracking and compiling any design or specification changes and their resultant impacts.
· Routinely supports Quality Assurance, Cost/Schedule, and other corporate functions as necessary.
· Continuously monitor new technologies for hardware and software/EMS design.
· Work with project development and project finance to support front end project development, design and financing requirements.
· 40% travel required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
· Bachelor’s degree in engineering, mathematics, or similar discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Master’s degree a plus.
· 5+ years related experience in the solar sector. Experience with utility scale solar PV systems of over 100 MW; battery storage experience strongly desired
· Field and construction experience is strongly preferred
· Solar + BESS hardware and software design, including SCADA, EMS, and Battery Management System integration experience. DC coupled PV + BESS experience a plus.
· Experience with systems engineering and integration.
· Professional Engineering Registration (PE) or Project Management Professional (PMP) mandatory.
· Business understanding, contract management experience, and negotiations skills
· Preferable experience in due diligence of projects in M&A processes
· Experience with ISO procedures and OSHA safety requirements would be an asset.
· International business experience desirable.
· Has knowledge of the power and renewable energy market dynamics.
· Have a working knowledge and be able to perform complex analyses with solar design software including PVSyst, ETAP or SKM, and WinIGS or CDEGS.
· Proficiency in AutoCAD.
· Have experience with conducting site walks to assess electrical interconnection complexity.
· Have experience with distribution substation design at medium voltages up to 345 kV
· Have experience with preparing customer proposals and specification documents.
· Have direct and relevant experience with the latest solar and battery storage products including solar modules, inverters, mounting system and BESS’s
· Honesty and integrity.
· Strong ability to model battery + storage designs and generations/operations profiles.
· Resourceful and accomplished research skills ‐ ability to effectively utilize publicly available materials.
· Understanding of building code requirements for solar and BESS (in multiple regions).
· Ability to succinctly communicate and summarize complex issues into actionable deliverables.
· Driven, resourceful and comfortable working in an entrepreneurial environment.
· Rigorous attention to detail, work ethic, personal responsibility, work product ownership, and organizational skills
· Requires intimate knowledge of the power and renewable energy market dynamics. Preference for renewable experience in U.S. competitive wholesale electricity markets.
· Requires the ability to stay current with changing technologies, regulations, and trends influencing the continued adoption of renewable energy.
· Knowledge of the full-cycle of utility-scale renewable power generation development and execution.
· Proficient in AutoCAD, MATLAB, Visual Basic, MS Excel, Project, Word, and PowerPoint, and Google Earth.
· Commercial mindset, strong prioritization, communication, and organizational skills are required.
· Capable of successfully operating in a geographically dispersed organization.
· Skilled oral and written communicator.
· Effectively collaborates in a team environment
· Ability to present to banks/financial institutions.
· Ability to quickly step into new tasks and adapt to new circumstances in a dynamic environment.
· Willingness to work extended hours, when necessary
At Primergy we are committed to providing and maintaining a workplace that is free of known hazards. To better safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the broader community, we have implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy. All new hires must be fully vaccinated by their hire date. Proof of vaccination will be required prior to start. Consistent with applicable law, reasonable accommodation will be considered in response to requests.
Primergy is committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture. We recognize that underrepresented groups such as women and BIPOC may be less likely to apply to a role if they don’t meet 100% of the listed qualifications. We encourage you to apply if you meet some of the qualifications and if this role is aligned with your career aspirations and interests.
Primergy Solar is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We welcome all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status.