Job Description – Accounting Manager, Commercial Real Estate Accounting
SteelWave is a privately held full-service creative life science, creative office and industrial real estate management, operating company, and investment management firm. We create spaces focused on elevated and exceptional user experiences achieved through unparalleled design and detailed execution that conjure creativity, flexibility and invigorate collaboration. We’ve built a reputation for successful execution by sourcing sound investments in our 7 key markets: Northern California, Southern California, Denver, Seattle, Portland, Texas, and Phoenix. As a vertically integrated leader in the industry, we source, entitle, design, finance, develop, renovate, lease, manage and sell real estate investments on behalf of many well-known institutional clients. Since its inception, the SteelWave team has acquired, developed, or managed 61.3M SF of industrial product and 38.45M SF of office product across our Western United States target markets at a combined cost of over $11.8 billion.
- Responsible for month end close of various projects, including but not limited to bank reconciliations, prepare or review GL reconciliations, journal entries, AR review, bad debt reserves, and Fixed Asset place in service.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly financial reports in accordance with GAAP and tax basis. Complete and compile reporting packages for clients, lenders and owners.
- Prepare or review pro-ration schedule for acquisitions or dispositions. Capable of proposing and recording acquisition or disposition JEs independently.
- Prepare loan and equity draws based on loan and equity document requirements.
- Perform cash management duties. Calculate cash contributions and distributions when necessary.
- Calculate and review annual estimates and actual CAM reconciliations.
- Assist Property managers in variance explanation and other accounting related questions as needed.
- Assist in annual audit preparation and participate in annual budget process.
- Train and mentor other accounting team members.
- Set-up and maintain proforma job cost projects for multiple real estate entities (operations and development).
- Enter job budgets, ensuring proper approvals (lease commissions, tenant improvements, spec spaces, and capital).
- Refer to tenants’ leases to conduct financial reconciliations for tenant improvements.
- Review and understand relevant documents including but not limited to loan documents, tenant leases, development agreements, venture agreements, other contracts and agreements.
- Adhere to SteelWave’s Vision, Culture and Commitment statement.
- Assist with various projects and duties as assigned.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelors degree in accounting preferred.
- 3+ years relevant experience in real estate accounting required.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, changing environment and effectively interact verbally and in writing with peers.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and people skills.
- Experience with Yardi accounting software preferred.
- Foundational knowledge in Microsoft Excel & Word.
- Must be hands-on, detail-oriented and possess the ability to look beyond the box.
- Must be able to multi-task and pick-up tasks quickly.
- Ability to work independently and proactive planning are needed to succeed in this position.
This position might have supervisory responsibilities.
This is an exempt position.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds. The vision requirements include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work is performed in an office setting with exposure to CRTs and UV rays. Working extended hours may be required as needed. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.