We believe in the power and importance of infrastructure. Every few decades a major inflection point in the world’s infrastructure progresses humanity forward. Vanderbilt and the railroads, Edison and the electrical grid, Eisenhower and the highways and now; Airspace Link’s low altitude digital infrastructure.
Airspace Link is a post-Series B high-growth data and softwarep based out of Detroit. Offering Hybrid and fully Remote work options, we are an award-winning company of 50+ team members that focus on creating a place where people of all different backgrounds and perspectives can thrive as engineers, data scientists, creative thinkers, and passionate innovators.
Our vision is to create a world where the safe integration of drones fuels human progress, advancing social equity, the environment, and the economy. Partnered with the FAA, we work with state and local governments and commercial operators to enable the safe integration of drones into the national airspace and communities at scale through digital infrastructure, strategic partnerships and thought leadership.
Reporting to the CEO, the VP of Engineering will lead, shape, and scale Airspace Link’s growing team of architects and developers building bleeding edge software products that are revolutionizing the UAS industry. We are in a rapidly growing greenfield industry and need an adaptable, futuristic leader who thrives in a dynamic, fast paced environment. You will be working very closely with the Leadership and Product Department understanding the client, our value proposition, and translating the product roadmap into actionable inspiring work that executes the Airspace Link vision of scalable UAS integration.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- As a people manager with a servant leadership mindset, pick, grow, and motivate the best capabilities across Software Engineering teams to build customer success
- Through deep understanding of the industry and customer needs and in close collaboration with internal stakeholders, oversee software product architecture and development
- Stay close to the technology while leading, coaching, and growing multiple engineering teams
- Strategize on and deliver engineering goals in support of Progressive Web App (PWA) product & business goals
- Champion the delivery of quality software efficiently and predictably, to meet the demands of our customers
- Recruit, develop, and retain a high-performance, world-class engineering team
- Curate the Engineering Teams to ensure they remain highly effective structures to deliver world-class software and infrastructure
- Directly mentor, coach, and nurture engineering team lead(s) and engineers toward success
- Collaborate with the product team on strategic planning to evolve our architecture, security, and scale without sacrificing product delivery
- Partner with our product team to drive long-term roadmaps from ideation to execution, and onward through continuous iteration
- Expand our engineering team by working closely with People Operations team to recruit, hire, and onboard top talent
- Foster a collaborative culture with a strong emphasis on teamwork, diversity, and creative innovation
- Create continuous learning and development plans to further develop your team’s engineering skills and product knowledge
- Responsible for their organization’s information security as defined by the system, including deploying and maintaining relevant information security controls
- In charge of risk ownership for their respective departments
- Other duties as necessary
Qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, or related field or equivalent years of experience or education
- 7+ years in similar capacity, building and scaling an engineering team of 30+ people with proven experience scaling enterprise level technology products
- Superior software architecture, design, and organization skills with modern tech stack(s) in production environments
- Experience working with Esri software and tools
- Strong grasp of geospatial technology within UAS industry, or adjacent field, such as new mobility, robotics, aviation, transportation, uncrewed air, or infrastructure; experience with Esri
- People-first mindset and passion for empowering teams for success through coaching and servant leadership
- Early track record of success as a developer where you shipped consumer facing products (web or mobile) at scale (e.g. you understand the role of those whom you’re trying to serve)
- Understanding of agile methodology, modern tech stack, and love for writing code
- Knack for building inclusive and collaborative remote teams
- Previous success with architecture and system design and understanding and application of Conway’s Law
- Experience with Azure, AWS, or GCP and have previously developed software-at-scale
- Passion for DevOps culture and modern Infrastructure practices (i.e. CI/CD, Platform Engineering), and have knowledge in QA, automated testing, and testing frameworks
- Experience with project management tools such as Monday.com, Jira, etc.
- Advanced MS Office Suite Experience
- Part 107 or another pilot’s license a plus
Airspace Link is committed to building a diverse team, embracing an inclusive culture, and investing in equity across our organization. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.