Camelot Energy Group (Camelot) is seeking a Project Engineer with experience in energy storage projects and technologies to join our growing team.
Camelot, founded in 2022, is a new technical and strategic advisory firm supporting asset owners and investors in the clean energy space. Our clients build, own, and operate solar and energy storage projects and we help them by providing technical due diligence, owner’s engineering, strategic advisory, and other support. Our core values of courage, empathy, integrity, and service are at the heart of our business and support our mission of accelerating the pace of clean energy adoption to build a just and sustainable society.
Camelot’s founder, Shawn Shaw, is an 18+ year veteran of the solar and energy storage industry, with experience ranging from supporting state incentive programs to supporting some of the largest banks and financiers on their most challenging project finance transactions. Shawn has built, trained, and nurtured consulting teams throughout his career and founded Camelot to be a human-centric consultancy that values trust, flexibility, and mentorship.
About the Position
The Project Engineer is a member of our consulting team who provides technical and markets-based input to clients on topics such as:
- Energy storage project development
- Analysis of revenue streams and markets for energy, power, capacity, and other services
- Modeling of energy storage system use cases
- Policy and market impacts on energy storage projects
- Technology evaluation and selection
- Due diligence on energy storage products, manufacturers, or other market actors
- Evaluation of project-level pro forma economic models
During a typical day, the Project Engineer will likely perform a mix of duties that might include several online meetings, reviewing documents, writing a brief deliverable summarizing comments on those documents, and (of course) being sure to take some time for rest, exercise, and non-work activities. The work can be fast-paced at times but we proactively manage our clients, project intake, workload, and staff to curate a positive working environment that leads to better results.
We are seeking a team member to fill a role that blends organization and frequent client interaction with technical tasks such as analyzing project economics, technologies, contracts, or creating models or simulations. Recognizing that this is a broad skill set, we will be happy to provide the right candidate with training and support in filling gaps but we fundamentally seek a candidate with the following attributes:
Education: We are seeking a candidate with a 4-year degree from an accredited degree program. Our preference is for candidates with technical educations in engineering, mathematics, or physical sciences but other backgrounds will be considered.
Experience: A successful candidate will have 3-5 years of experience working in energy storage or power markets consulting, project development, project finance, integration, applications engineering, or similar roles. A mix of analytical and client-facing experience will be required to be successful in this role.
Competencies: Given the varied nature of our projects and clients, we seek a candidate with the following competencies:
- Strong knowledge of energy storage systems and their major sub-systems, including thermal management, fire safety, explosion control, SCADA, battery management systems, and energy management systems.
- Expertise in major techo-commercial considerations for ESS projects, such as degradation, augmentation strategies, performance testing, and major purchase and operating contracts
- Understanding of energy storage system costs and supply chain considerations
- Familiarity with energy storage project development process and major agreements
- Ability to quickly organize and digest information
- Critical thinking and ability to communicate ideas clearly in written and verbal formats
- Strong proficiency in MS Office suite
- Ability to perform quantitative analyses in Excel, Python, Matlab, or other platforms
- Expertise in revenue modeling and market analysis will be quite helpful but is not required
Inclinations: The role will involve remote work and the majority of the tasks will be completed in an office setting, with some periodic need for fieldwork, travel for meetings, and similar activities. Comfort with working remotely, interacting over video conferencing platforms, and operating independently will be necessary. This role will also require flexibility in switching between tasks and priorities quickly.
Location: This position is open to those permanently residing in the U.S. but work location is remote and completely flexible otherwise. We would love to employ new colleagues in other countries but, unfortunately, are not administratively able to offer employment to non-US residents at this time.
Camelot is not a typical consulting firm. We are looking for great people and we strongly believe that the main job of our leadership team is to bring in great people, support them, and then get obstacles out of their way. We reject the notion that consulting has to mean unending long days, 24/7 responsiveness, or pointless metrics. Our goal is that you enjoy your work and have a chance to make a real impact on solving the world’s energy challenges with a minimum of pointless activity during your typical day.
Salary: The salary range for this position is $100,000-$125,000 per year. Yes, we put that in the job description. We do this because we dislike haggling over salary as much as you do and because we believe in transparency. For the right candidate that is more, or less, experienced than noted above we will consider an adjusted salary that reflects your experience.
Bonuses and Incentives: As with most companies, our incentive structure is based on personal and company performance. In a year in which both you and the company meet your agreed-on performance targets, we offer a 10% incentive. In addition, we may offer annual bonuses based on personal and company performance.
Health Benefits: We offer a selection of health, dental, and vision plans that you can choose from. We also offer access, and encourage the use of, virtual/online mental healthcare services.
Retirement Benefits: We offer a competitive 401(k) program that includes matching and we make an annual contribution to your account, in addition to any matching you may wish to take advantage of.
PTO: We believe that overly managed schedules are a painful part of business-and an unnecessary one. We offer our team members unlimited PTO and, in fact, require that all team members take a minimum of two weeks’ PTO per year. Rest and recreation are key to wellbeing and, selfishly, to your job performance. We trust our team members to balance their work priorities with time off and if you can accomplish your objectives and take every Friday off, we are delighted to support that.
Professional Development: In addition to covering costs for professional registration and industry certifications, each member of the team has an annual budget to spend on role-relevant trainings and courses.
Putting Our Money Where Our Mouth Is: We work in the clean energy space and are trying to build a better world. Our benefits should reflect that. We offer each team member:
- One-time incentive for installing solar PV at your home
- Annual incentive to perform O&M on a PV system you already own or to purchase energy-saving equipment
- One-time incentive for purchase of an EV or energy storage system
- Opportunities to support, on our time, organizations such as Engineers Without Borders in addressing energy and infrastructure equity challenges