Senior Human Factors and Usability Engineer
Goddard is seeking a Senior Human Factors and Usability Engineer with roughly 5-10 years of experience in product development of medical products to join our team in Beverly, MA. This role will play a key part in the design, development, use testing, documentation, and launch of Goddard’s clients’ products. You will take part in human factors & usability engineering activities for new product development programs and contribute to usability improvements for current products, collaborating with a diverse team of product development specialists and working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. Goddard products integrate mechanical, electrical, software, and fluidic elements, and industrial design to deliver thoughtful, elegant product solutions.
In this role, we will ask you to:
- Serve as a patient / customer advocate in helping Goddard realize its vision for delivering game-changing products that are safe & effective, easy to use, not prone to use error, and provide user satisfaction; ultimately supporting Goddard’s goal of extremely low burden of care.
- Support product management and product engineering personnel in establishing ergonomic, human factors (HF), and usability-related requirements for new products and product line extensions.
- Implement a variety of HFE research methods, such as task analysis, PCA, time/motion study, user preference studies, ethnographic research, heuristic analysis, root cause analysis and usability testing.
- Analyze quantitative and qualitative data to in- form design decisions and risk analyses.
- Contribute to user interface designs by providing heuristic design guidance, ideas, and feed- back to project teams.
- Support documentation review and development, including but not limited to risk analyses, user/environment profiles, task analyses, use specifications and human factors engineering reports to support regulatory filings.
- Draft uFMEAs; collaborating with systems engineering in identifying intended users and use environments, as well as potential use-related hazards; determine product use cases and identify critical user tasks.
- Analyze complaints from on-market products for usability-related issues.
- Be flexible with a range of product interfaces from software GUIs, hardware/fluid connectors to workstations.
- Represent the human factors/usability engineering function on core teams for small to large sized projects.
- Collaborate with internal & external parties in planning, structuring, recruiting for, and executing formative and summative usability evaluations.
- Have a working knowledge of the implementation of all relevant HF & usability-related standards and guidance documents (ANSI/AAMI/ISO 14971, AAMI/ANSI HE75, ANSI/AAMI/IEC 62366, IEC 60601, FDA, etc.).
- Strive to balance strategic planning and tactical execution.
- Work with team members to resolve conflicts among resources and between clients and engineering teams.
- Remain apprised of the progress of certain projects, paying particular attention to any developing problems, and participate in major problem resolutions. Keep all privileged information private and confidential.
- Be proficient in the latest version of SolidWorks CAD package, Microsoft, and Google products.
- Travel as-needed (valid driver’s license and vehicle required).
- You are a strong communicator, creative thinker, and team player.
- You are excited at the chance to join a growing team.
- You are energized by tackling challenges head- on.
Founded in 1997, Goddard is a full-service product development and engineering firm specializing in the design and development of medical technology, life science and industrial products. Drawing from the collective expertise of its experienced designers and engineers, Goddard’s mission is to deliver outstanding solutions that positively impact lives. We have offices in Beverly, MA and San Diego, CA.
Goddard believes that everyone is entitled to fair opportunities and equal employment rights. We comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination in hiring and the terms and conditions of employment including, but not limited to, compensation, promotion, discipline, or termination. Goddard is firm on its policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants on the basis of qualification and merit and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, public assistance status, membership or activity in a local commission, or any other legally protected status in accordance with applicable local, state, and federal laws.
Please note: Presently, Goddard does not sponsor employment visas.
Staffing Agencies and Recruiters: Goddard, Inc. will not accept resumes from agencies or recruiters with whom we do not have an existing agreement in place. Goddard, Inc. is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.