Title: Shorebird Intern
Agency/Organization: Sanibel-Captiva Conservation Foundation
We are seeking one intern to assist the SCCF Coastal Wildlife Department’s shorebird monitoring program from mid-March through early September 2024 (Start and end dates are flexible). Primary duties include: assisting the shorebird team with monitoring of beach-nesting birds including but not limited to: snowy plovers, least terns, and Wilson’s plovers. Nest searching, setting up nest area enclosures, interacting with the public, communicating with our team of volunteers, and data entry. Interns also assist with other departmental projects as needed, including but not limited to: bald eagle nest monitoring, swallow-tailed kite nest monitoring, and monofilament collection and recycling www.mindyourline.org .
- Bachelor’s degree in wildlife biology, environmental science, or closely related field (or working towards a degree)
- Willingness to work irregular hours (including weekend hours)
- Ability and desire to work outdoors in adverse conditions (intense heat, biting insects, etc)
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods as required by job duties
- Ability to walk long distances
- Ability and desire to interact with the public
- Ability to collect accurate data and enter into Microsoft access and excel databases
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to properly lift and carry heavy objects (up to 40 pounds)
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
- Willingness to learn and assist with other projects as needed
- Previous field experience with ground-nesting birds / nest searching
- Ability to identify and re-sight banded birds
- Experience with GPS and GIS
- Bird identification skills
- Experience with public outreach and environmental education
SCCF is a drug-free workplace. The successful applicant will be required to submit to a background check and drug screening within 2 weeks of the position start date.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The QUALIFICATIONS, PHYSICAL DEMANDS, and WORK CONDITIONS listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities perform the essential functions.
Location: Sanibel, Florida
Salary: Weekly stipend + housing (if needed)
Interns not using housing: $480/week + toll reimbursement
Interns using housing: $325/week
To apply: Please send a resume and contact information for 3 references through the application link. No cover letter required.
Start Date: 3/18/2024
End Date: 9/13/2024
Application Deadline: 2/9/2024
Contact Person: Audrey Albrecht
Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org