Media Development Investment Fund (MDIF) is seeking to appoint a full-time highly competent and organized professional for the position of Financial Planning and Analysis Manager.
Financial Planning and Analysis
* Lead MDIF’s financial planning and reporting processes including creation of annual operating budgets, program budgets and periodic forecasts, variance reports, and analyses.
* Create insightful presentations to communicate results, conclusions, and actionable recommendations to varied audiences, including MDIF management, investors, funders, and Board of Directors.
* Support month-end close as well as quarterly and annual reporting activities.
* Monitor and ensure compliance with internal controls, company policies and procedures.
* Manage the execution of special projects and ad-hoc financial modeling and reporting requests.
* Collect, interpret, and review financial information - assess and provide recommendations for standardizing monthly and quarterly financial report process.
Investment Fund Management
* Support MDIF’s impact investing mission throughout the entire investment fund lifecycle.
* Collaborate with MDIF’s investment team and funders to create fund models and manage and monitor investment fund performance.
* Support MDIF’s investment fund reporting and compliance obligations.
* Support MDIF’s grant program throughout the entire grant/project cycle.
* Collaborate with MDIF’s program team and funders to create, manage, and monitor grant budgets, deliverables, and milestones.
* Ensure that all records are maintained in compliance with grant agreements.
* Contribute to an array of cross-disciplinary projects and initiatives, as well as drive continuous improvements in financial processes, systems, tools, and documentation.
* Develop expert-level proficiency on MDIF systems/tools and proactively seek opportunities to create operational efficiencies with existing processes or implementation of new systems.
* Work and problem-solve independently and collaboratively; organize workload and priorities, and complete tasks on time.
* Minimum five (5) years accounting or financial management experience.
* Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Business, Accounting, or Finance (BBA/MBA) or equivalent preferred.
* Significant FP&A, budget and proposal development experience in a complex multi-entity, multi-national corporation, investment fund, or not-for-profit preferred.
* Evidence of excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills and ability to establish strong business partnerships within the organization to provide comprehensive financial support and ongoing analytics for key strategic initiatives.
* Highly motivated and committed to driving change and continual process improvement.
* Able to work independently and develop solutions in a complex and dynamic environment.
* Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint required.
* Advanced experience with enterprise-level General Ledger (ERP) systems preferred.
* Advanced experience and proficiency with Excel PivotTables and other Business Intelligence (BI) or Corporate Performance Management (CPM) tools (e.g., Power Pivot, Power BI, Tableau, DataRails, Prophix, Solver, Tagetik, TM1, EssBase) preferred.
* Experience in implementing and managing CPM and/or BI systems a plus.
ABOUT MEDIA DEVELOPMENT INVESTMENT FUND
MDIF is a not-for-profit impact investment fund specializing in the media sector, principally in news businesses. We work in countries where the press is not free.
Since 1995 MDIF has invested $255m in 131 independent media businesses in 44 countries, typically where the independence of journalism cannot be guaranteed and access to information is under threat. Our financing helps independent media companies to fulfil their commercial potential while safeguarding their editorial independence. We work with a range of businesses from early-stage ventures to established players seeking to expand audiences or diversify revenues, often with companies that lack access to investment capital and always with companies committed to the highest standards of independent, quality journalism.
Central to our investment strategy is MDIF’s conviction that a commercial investment-led approach of deploying risk capital to build economically viable, independent media businesses with lasting social impact is proven and highly effective. Our approach also emphasizes our belief in patient capital. We are an investor for the long-term. We engage actively with clients; we support them with specialist media sector advice and on company boards we provide strategic direction and encourage the highest standards of corporate governance.
MDIF is comprised of multiple entities in the US and internationally but is a lean organization with fewer than 60 staff located around the world from Jakarta to Bogota, from Johannesburg to Singapore. Headquartered in New York, there are European offices in Prague, Warsaw and Belgrade, and most staff work remotely.
MDIF offers a competitive salary, flexible working patterns and a generous annual leave allowance. We are committed to diversity as a central organizational principle and we welcome applications from candidates of all backgrounds, especially from individuals in minority groups who are currently under-represented in the workplace.
The FP&A Manager will report to the Chief Financial Officer and will partner with teams across MDIF as noted in the description.
Submit a CV together with a cover letter to by January 31, 2023.