Role and Responsibilities
The Director of Development will be responsible for the development of solar, solar + storage and energy storage projects through project management, contract negotiation, and transaction support across a pipeline of projects targeting wholesale power markets in the US and Canada. The successful candidate will have at least 5 years of experience in the energy industry, specifically in North America energy infrastructure development, the ability to effectively communicate complex ideas, and the ability and enthusiasm to drive projects forward.
· Development of utility-scale solar power generation facilities within the United States and Canadian markets.
· Manage all aspects of solar and solar+energy storage project development from initial greenfield or acquisition efforts through to the start of construction.
· Direct and conduct due diligence on development-stage project and portfolio acquisitions, including comparison and prioritization of multiple opportunities based on risks, schedules, valuations, investment criteria, and other project metrics.
- Ability to communicate and sync cross-functionally, including off-take M&A, Origination, Transmission, Legal, Project Finance, Engineering, Procurement, and Construction team members regularly to minimize project risks.
- Identify, propose and implement creative or alternative project development approaches that reduce exposure to permitting risks, optimize development schedules or drive additional project value.
- Manage and administer development services agreements with local or regional development partners.
- Work with finance department during financial feasibility analysis, evaluation, and during the project debt and tax equity financing processes.
- Manage project budgets, objectives, schedules, and deliverables for assigned development projects.
- Travel to site locations to meet with landowners and evaluate sites.
- Negotiate tax abatements, land use agreements, mitigation settlements, and various other agreements.
- Engage community, local, state and federal institutions for project support.
- Manage contractors, vendors, and consultants to maintain project timeline, value optimization, and budget.
- Secure permits and ensure environmental compliance throughout the development, construction, and operation of projects.
· Coordinate and provide input to project interconnection requests, load-flow and congestion studies, and other necessary aspects of securing project transmission.
· Provide market intelligence feedback to the M&A team to inform on the development and acquisition strategies.
· Highly energetic and results-driven with a teamwork attitude.
· 5% - Other duties as assigned
· Approximately 30% travel required
Education and Experience requirements
· Requires an undergraduate degree at minimum.
· 5+ years of relevant renewable energy development experience.
· Extensive experience with and understanding of project development.
· Solar development and energy storage development experience is preferred.
· Previous experience working in a commercial negotiation environment with excellent counter-party focused, commercial management, negotiation, and influencing skills, is preferred.
· Unparalleled honesty and integrity.
· Knowledge of the power and renewable energy market dynamics a plus.
- Impressive track record developing renewable energy projects through COD is required.
- Ability to stay current with changing technologies, regulations, and trends influencing the continued adoption of renewable energy is preferred.
- Skills and knowledge with a combination of renewable energy technologies are required. Concisely frame issues by providing context, analysis, recommendations, and risk/benefit tradeoffs, both in written and verbal format to project teams and to senior management.
- Create control and influence over the costs, terms, and schedules of key project milestones.
- Strong understanding of the relationships within a project schedule to prioritize teams’ resource allocation.
- Commercial mindset, strong prioritization, communication, and organizational skills are required.
- Extensive knowledge of the full-cycle of utility-scale renewable power generation development and marketing.
- Solid understanding of economic drivers within our business.
- Ability to quickly step into new tasks and adapt to unique circumstances in a dynamic environment.
- Successfully operating in a geographically dispersed organization is a plus.
· Willingness to work extended hours, when necessary.