Position: Staff Accountant
Department: Finance & Accounting Reports to: Controller
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
The primary objective of this position is to assure that the assigned day-to-day accounting activities are carried out in accordance with established accounting principles, and Company policies and objectives. The individual in this position assists with the monthly closing process by preparing various financial schedules and analysis, assists and supports the Controller and the CFO with the compilation and timely distribution of financial statements prepared in accordance with GAAP and supports the implementation of accounting controls. This position requires the application of well-established accounting principles, theories, concepts, and practices to resolve problems.
· Accounts Payable, including reviewing and processing vendor invoices for payment, research discrepancies, manage company credit card(s), maintain vendor w9’s and 1099 information.
· Accounts Receivable, including reviewing and posting customer payments to accounting, collections
· Perform monthly closing activities, including preparation of journal entries, reconciliations, and reports.
· Cash management including daily commercial banking, cash flow projection support, bank reconciliations.
· General office administration duties, including notary public, purchasing supplies, maintain relationships with office vendors, answering phone as needed.
· Coordinates and develops information, data and processes to meet formal and informal data requests from management, regulators and other parties.
· Prepare special project financial analysis upon request.
· Assist with providing accounting support to external auditors as directed by Controller and CFO.
· Work and communicate with various internal and external groups including general accounting, finance, operations and customer service.
· Perform other job-related duties as deemed appropriate by the Company.
· Bachelor or Associate Degree, preferably in Accounting.
· Minimum of three (3) years of general accounting and account analysis experience.
· Team player, willing to pitch in with cross-departmental needs.
· Comfortable problem solving independently and recommending solutions.
· Proficient at Microsoft Office, with emphasis on Excel.
· Accounting software experience with QuickBooks helpful.
· Billing system experience helpful.
· Exceptional organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
· Ability to effectively organize, manage, and balance multiple tasks and priorities.
· Retail Natural Gas and Power industry experience preferred.