About the Job
Nexant is seeking a Sr. Engineer for Nexant’s Salt Lake City, UT location. This position will serve as a technical specialist in commercial and industrial processes and systems to support our energy engineering services in our Energy Efficiency Division. Successful candidates must demonstrate ability to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of the position. Our clients include public agencies, investor-owned utilities administering ratepayer-funded energy efficiency programs, energy end users, and energy service companies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- A Technical leader – someone who can set the tone for our high standards of deliverables, who has a background in building systems, and cutting edge analytical approaches including hourly simulation tools, bin simulations, data visualization, monitoring equipment and methods.
- Manage technical aspects of project reviews and mentor reviewing engineers to improve their skills.
- Maintain quality of deliverables and customer communication and promote continuous improvement.
- Conduct/lead energy assessments (both scoping-level and investment-grade) at medium to large commercial and industrial facilities to identify and recommend energy efficiency improvements in systems such as but not limited to: HVAC, chilled water and hot water systems, data centers, compressed air, refrigeration, process heating, industrial processes, motors, boilers, pumping, food processing, and lighting.
- Provide technical assistance to support energy efficiency project implementation. Support may include calculations, scope development, implementation details, and/or impacts on operations.
- Complete energy modeling, economic analysis, and/or simulation to quantify energy impacts of recommendations.
- Write technical reports summarizing results from energy audits and/or retro-commissioning services to quantify savings amounts and incentive payments.
- Maintain a highest level of quality control of deliverable products (for your work and others), demonstrating technical excellence, objectivity, and clarity while maintaining project schedules.
- Provide advanced technical direction to other staff. Mentor and train junior engineers on various energy efficiency projects, including energy auditing, measurement & verification, and commissioning/retro-commissionin
- Conduct measurement and verification of energy savings as warranted.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in mechanical engineering, or similar engineering
- P.E. in mechanical engineering and CEM certification are desirable
- Strong understanding of mechanical and electrical systems and principals; HVAC and refrigeration, thermal and fluid systems, motors, and lightin
- Minimum 5 years of experience within the energy efficiency or building efficiency industry
- Experience in the following areas is a plus:
o Design and specification of HVAC, electrical, building automation/controls
o Commissioning and/or retro-commissioning test procedures, schematic diagrams, and system specifications
o Building and energy modeling/simulation tools (e.g. DOE-2, eQuest, EnergyPlus, Trane Trace, ECAM)
o Calculation of energy savings for commercial HVAC and/or industrial process energy efficiency improvements
- Familiarity with electrical measurement equipment and how to use it
- Ability to manage multiple projects while meeting deliverable deadlines and budgets
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, presentation, and analytical skills
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office programs including Word and Excel
- Must be able to travel locally (nationally or internationally) up to approximately 20% of the time.
Salary and Benefits (U.S.)
Nexant offers competitive salaries based on candidate's qualifications. Nexant also offers three weeks paid vacation per year, eleven paid holidays per year, a 401(k) plan with employee matching funds and an overall comprehensive benefits package.
- Performance-based bonuses
- Significant opportunity for growth/internal promotion
- Group health insurance
- Flexible work hours
- Respect for work/life balance.
Nexant is a globally recognized software, consulting and services leader that provides innovative solutions to utilities, energy enterprises, chemical companies and government entities worldwide. Founded in 2000 and headquartered in San Francisco, Nexant and its 500+ employees work from 32 global offices providing deep technical expertise and regional knowledge to improve customer engagement, boost operational efficiency, reduce costs and achieve superior business results.
Nexant supports clients through four distinct business units:
- Nexant Energy Softwarehas developed and commercialized a number of industry-leading software platforms and applications, including Nexant iEnergy®, Nexant Grid360™, and Nexant iHedge®
- Nexant Utility Servicesworks with clients to drive customer energy savings, ensure cost-effective program design, implementation and management, and promote customer engagement
- Nexant Energy & Chemicals Advisoryprovides strategic planning, project development, competitor analysis, market and price forecasting, and NexantThinking™, a subscription program and online product portal.
- Nexant Government Services assists developing countries with energy sector policies, infrastructure, financing, and access to affordable electricity.
Every day, Nexant employees partner with customers to reimagine the world we live in and create a more sustainable energy tomorrow.
Nexant, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.