Urban Designer [10+ Experience]
S9 Architecture is seeking an Urban Designer. This person will be responsible for working directly with both Co-Founding Principals, developing project designs. The Urban Designer will coordinate the work of design teams, and interface directly with the Client and regulatory agencies, if required. This person will be responsible for managing design presentations, preparing design documents, and gauging the progress of the project schedule.
The ideal candidate must meet the following responsibilities and qualifications:
- Master of Architecture degree
- 10 to 12 years of post-graduate, professional experience in Urban Design, Architecture or Planning
- Contributes to general preparation of master planning and site planning documents and models
- Exhibits understanding of programming, zoning codes, building, open space and urban planning typologies as well as transportation planning
- Performs documentation and presentation work, including diagrams, spreadsheets, scale comparisons and visualizations very quickly and under fast paced conditions
- Checks and coordinates calculations and scales quickly
- Coordinates work with the project team and consultants
- Sophisticated understanding of retail typologies in dense urban contexts
- Lead teams through the Design Development phase and present final client presentations
- Be flexible in design and able to take direction, feedback and observations with a positive attitude
- Be able to work and liaise across all departments to produce the best response to creative briefs
- Ability to meet deadlines and multi-task with minimal supervision
- Report to and review work with the Co-Founding Principals
- Proficiency in Rhino, AutoCAD, Adobe CS (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Proficiency in Revit and 3D Studio Max a plus
- Ability to produce conceptual designs
- Ability to adapt to new and complex situations
- Must have the ability to effectively present ideas in a fast paced environment (both verbally and visually)
- Design curious – must be passionate, observant and self-motivated
Who We Are:
S9 Architecture is a team of 70 designers dedicated to giving form to our client’s pragmatic needs, with a unique design approach rooted in “modern contextualism” and inspired by urban narratives. Rejecting pre-conceived ideas and stylistic preoccupations, each design solution is informed by programmatic, physical, environmental, economic and contextual forces. We believe our projects are part of a larger whole, acting as glue that helps bind and enhance their context for human experiences.
Our work is primarily centered in the New York City area with projects in Washington DC, Atlanta, Charlotte and Canada, as well. We strive for high minded design in everything we do and across all project typologies which currently include: residential, office, adaptive reuse, urban design, commercial and mixed use.
S9 Architecture is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply.