A highly regarded design firm seeks a Controller to lead financial strategy and drive performance in our New York City Studio. The firm finances are strong, and the business model is attractive. Our culture embraces intelligent and quick-witted people who thrive in a fast paced collaborative environment. We are seeking an important leader who will be regarded for their knowledge, intellect, and full-time presence in the office.
The Controller will advise the Principals of the company on issues related to strategic and tactical financial planning, risk assessment and mitigation, trend analysis and asset management. The Controller also leads the financial team and maintains relationships with the firm's financial institutions, CPA, business consultants, and legal counsel. In addition, the Controller ensures that the firm's financial monitoring systems and performance are consistent with the goals, objectives, and vision of the firm. The position calls for leadership, commitment, teamwork, independent judgement, initiative, and excellent communications and technical skills.
The Controller will report directly to the firm’s management and work closely with the Founding Principal and Managing Principal as well as a Financial Consultant. In this role, the Controller will coordinate the company’s finance and accounting matters which will include accounts receivables, accounts payables, bank reconciliation, cash and general ledger accounts.
- Management of Deltek Vision, the firm's project management, accounting, and timesheet program.
- Uphold Vision project maintenance. Ensure that every project has a budget for each milestone, and include additional service letters by project manager.
- Analysis and project maintenance of project contracts.
- Management of billing rates for all projects.
- Weekly cash flow reporting and assessment.
- Accounts Receivable- including the overseeing and (when needed) preparation of all invoices and collections.
- Accounts Payable
- Provide bi-weekly financial reports to the Principals, including cash flow, monthly expenses and revenue reports, AP, and AR.
- Deposits (banking and posting in Vision).
- Keep track of bank balances daily.
- Bank and credit card reconciliations in Vision.
- Submit semi-monthly payroll and record in Vision.
- Provide W-9, COI's (general & professional) to clients.
- Assist with Financial Consultant with annual budget.
- Assist with CPA with year-end accounting.
- Forecasting of cash flow and cash available based on a variety of investment and expansion scenarios. Develop a capitalization plan.
- Evaluate current and future processes to predict profitability and develop tools and procedures to maximize it.
- Perform cost benefit analysis on planned capital expenditure to assist in establishing corporate direction.
- Secure credit facilities and maintain covenants with bank.
- In concert with HR department, evaluate yearly salary levels and billing rates and advise on adjustment that keep the firm competitive in the industry and help recruit and retain quality staff.
- Enhance financial relationships with bank, CPA, and other financial institutions.
- In concert with HR department evaluate and recommend strategies to the company's operations cost of business, including but not limited to employee benefits, 401k plans, health and welfare benefits, Error and Omissions insurance, and general insurance.
- Assist in the training of our Project Managers.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, finance, Business or related field.
- 12 years of related work experience with a minimum of 5 years of recent experience in a leadership role for a similar sized/ valued firm.
- MBA or CPA preferred.
- Working knowledge of Deltek Vision or Deltek Vantagepoint experience strongly preferred.
- Advance knowledge of ERP accounting systems.
- Advance Excel skills required.
- A highly ethical professional with strategic vision and sound technical skills.
- Possess superb communication skills with an ability to present information clearly.
To Apply: Please visit www.s9architecture.com and apply through our careers page. Due to the high volume of applications, only short listed candidates will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Salary range: $135,000-$145,000+
The range above is a good-faith estimate based on the expectations as laid out in the job description. We are, however, often open to a variety of profiles and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the actual salary may vary from the estimates provided above.
Who We Are:
S9 Architecture is a team of 60 designers dedicated to giving form to our client’s pragmatic needs, with a unique design approach rooted in “modern contextualism” and inspired by urban narratives. Rejecting pre-conceived ideas and stylistic preoccupations, each design solution is informed by programmatic, physical, environmental, economic, and contextual forces. We believe our projects are part of a larger whole, acting as glue that helps bind and enhance their context for human experiences.
Our work is centered in the New York City area, but we have multiple large projects across North America in places such as Boston, Washington DC, Atlanta, Charlotte, Cleveland, Kansas City and Toronto. We strive for high minded design in everything we do and across all project typologies which currently include residential, office, adaptive reuse, urban design, commercial and mixed use.
S9 Architecture is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. We offer full benefits including medical, dental, vision, short & long term disability insurance, term life insurance, company matched 401(k), reimbursement and mentoring for AREs, yearly performance reviews, and social activities throughout the year.