Catalyst Pharmaceuticals is hiring an experienced and tactical medical/scientific executive (MD and/or PhD) for its newly created position of Chief Product Development Officer, who will be responsible for the scientific assessment, and competitive analysis of earlier stage product and validated innovative technology opportunities necessary to support growth and strength in the Catalyst development portfolio and corporate strategy initiatives to support such activities. This role will partner closely with leaders across the company in all functional areas including Clinical, Commercial and Research and Development, and with the Chief Executive Officer.
The successful candidate will lead the efforts to grow and manage a pipeline of pre-clinical and clinical rare disease therapeutic assets, as well as support external discussions on Catalyst product development activities and opportunities. This position will report to the Chief Executive Officer and will help shape the strategy of a growing and critical rare disease pipeline of medicines aimed at serving a unique audience within the US and abroad.
In this newly created position, the successful candidate will be part of an energizing and supportive biopharmaceutical culture engaged in continuous development and improvement. As a seasoned operating executive, this individual will oversee current and new activities from discovery stage through clinical development phases and ultimate market approval. This is a vital role to help shape and drive the future success of the company. This individual must be a forward-thinker who is extremely focused and capable of creating an evolving strategy to anticipate and articulate the specific challenges and potential benefits of both near and long-term opportunities.
Areas of specific responsibility and attention will include the following:
· Lead the strategy and oversee development of target product profiles for early-stage R&D assets and clinical stage programs in rare disease, with the goal to grow and expand Catalyst’s pipeline outside of neuromuscular disease.
· Formulate and oversee the execution of an aggressive product opportunity assessment and development strategy/pipeline in niche, unmet disease areas that will provide Catalyst the opportunity to target underserved patient populations who suffer from rare diseases.
· Collaborate with and lead, as needed, cross functional teams to; evaluate, develop and manage pipeline projects for new product development/assessment and ongoing lifecycle management of products, processes and therapies.
· Conduct and refine scientific and market
assessments to support existing and proposed projects. Incorporate insights from scientific experts
(internal R&D colleagues and external opinion leaders) to formulate
actionable strategies that will guide R&D objectives.
· Research, monitor, and communicate market conditions and scientific/technological developments to key Catalyst personnel on an ongoing basis. The position will require strong scientific/ clinical and analytical rigor to provide creative solutions and insight on a wide range of challenging quantitative projects.
· Assess project issues and develop resolutions to meet scientific, clinical, quality, and business goals and objectives. Develop mechanisms for monitoring project progress and for intervention and problem solving.
· Be a transparent, effective communicator internally and externally with stakeholders, obtaining stakeholder engagement to ensure the end products or processes will solve the business problems. Regularly communicates and conducts briefings with senior or executive leadership regarding ongoing operations and strategic initiatives.
· Attract, retain, and inspire a team as needed, and provide leadership and oversight in order to optimize their efforts. Help drive and support an engaging, inspiring culture at Catalyst.
· Work with the Chief Executive Officer and executive leadership team in preparing presentations to the Board of Directors, investors and other stakeholders as needed.
· Effectively represent Catalyst both internally and externally to the scientific/medical community, investor and business communities- including the Board of Directors, investors, partners, and analysts as needed. Lead investment and analyst conversations in setting pipeline expectations that have near-term results and can clearly articulate a compelling vision for the products in development.
· Partner effectively with all executives and personnel across the organization. Build and maintain a culture of accountability, discipline, compliance, responsiveness, inclusiveness and respect.
The successful candidate for the position of Chief Product Development Officer (CPDO) will have a history of success in the strategic development of biotherapeutics, including a minimum of 15+ years industry experience. This individual will possess the skill sets to oversee therapeutic asset portfolio strategy, pipeline growth and management; across preclinical, translational, and early clinical development stages- in a diverse array of therapeutic areas, ideally in rare disease. Experience with novel biopharmaceutical technology platforms as well as emerging trends in rare disease is highly desirable.
This individual will have a thorough understanding of all the requirements and processes needed in the drug development process- from discovery through market approval; including but not limited to budgeting/forecasting adequate resources and staying ahead of competition trends.
Key requirements include:
· A PhD and/or MD within relevant field, with a strong background in the commercial assessment of biopharmaceutical assets independent of their stage in the R&D development process.
· Proven and recognized data-driven thought leader in strategic therapeutic development, ideally in rare disease, with a track record of creating and implementing product portfolio vision across and within a rapidly scaling organization. Applies resources efficiently and effectively.
· Ability to multi-task and work toward fixed deadlines in a fast pace, ambiguous, and demanding environment. Strong ability to influence and lead in a matrix and remote / multi-site organization.
· Passionate about providing exceptional products and services to rare disease patients; has shown empathy towards the patient populations these therapeutics will serve.
· Strong scientific and drug development knowledge including latest trends in novel targets within rare disease.
· Sophisticated understanding of the external marketplace to identify long-term benefits for unmet patient needs.
· Strong presentation and communication skills, having established a credible reputation within the biopharmaceutical industry.
· A high performing individual contributor who at the same time is an excellent team-player. A proven track record as a builder, leader, and retainer of exceptional teams.
· Excellent quantitative and finance skills as they apply to the drug development process, market analysis and commercial trends.
· Has shown an ability to forge and maintain successful collaborations with academic and industry partners.
· Highest standards of personal and professional integrity and ethics.
· Ability to travel up to 50% of the time as needed.
Undergraduate degree and an advanced degree; PhD and/or MD in a scientific discipline is required. An MBA is not required but desirable.
Compensation & Benefits:
An attractive compensation package to include cash, bonus, and equity will
be offered based upon background and experience.