About Shattuck Labs, Inc:
Shattuck is a clinical-stage biotechnology company pioneering the development of bi-functional fusion proteins as a new class of biologic medicine for the treatment of patients with cancer and autoimmune disease. Compounds derived from Shattuck’s proprietary Agonist Redirected Checkpoint, ARC®, platform simultaneously inhibit checkpoint molecules and activate costimulatory molecules within a single therapeutic. The company’s lead wholly owned program, SL-172154 (SIRPα-Fc-CD40L), which is designed to block the CD47 immune checkpoint and simultaneously agonize the CD40 pathway, is being evaluated in a Phase 1 trial. A second compound, SL-279252 (PD1-Fc-OX40L), is being evaluated in a Phase 1 trial in collaboration with Takeda Pharmaceuticals. Additionally, the company is advancing a proprietary Gamma Delta T Cell Engager, GADLEN™, platform, which is designed to bridge gamma delta T cells to tumor antigens for the treatment of patients with cancer. Shattuck has offices in both Austin, Texas and Durham, North Carolina. For more information, please visit: www.ShattuckLabs.com
About the Position:
Reporting to the General Counsel, the Intellectual Property Counsel (IPC) will provide strategic vision addressing Shattuck’s current and future intellectual property and work closely with outside counsel to prosecute Shattuck’s patent portfolio consistent with overall strategic directives. The IPC will be responsible for Shattuck’s IP strategy and intellectual property affairs, including prosecution, counseling, publication review, trademark matters, and opinion work. The IPC will work closely with the General Counsel on licensing and other complex business transactions, due diligence, litigation and enforcement matters. The IPC will be an integral working partner with the company’s research and development, clinical, and CMC groups, and corporate counsel. The IPC will also be responsible for managing relationships with outside counsel. This position can be based in Austin, TX or Durham, NC.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Strategically develop Shattuck’s worldwide patent portfolio, including (in conjunction with outside prosecution counsel) preparing and prosecuting domestic patent applications and directing and managing foreign outside counsel to prepare and prosecute patent applications in a growing technological field;
- Manage invention disclosures, including collecting and screening disclosures and conducting inventor interviews;
- Conduct due diligence on potential acquisitions and freedom-to-operate assessments that drive strategic acquisitions and product development;
- Conduct in-depth analyses of competitor products and IP portfolios;
- Collaborate with Shattuck’s research and development, clinical, and CMC groups and corporate counsel on IP issues;
- Interact with and provide IP strategic guidance to senior management, researchers and other functional organizational leadership;
- Collaborate with General Counsel and other legal counsel, including preparing and reviewing research and development agreements and license agreements, and counseling regarding IP transactional matters (which may include generating and reviewing MSAs, MTAs, SRAs, CDAs, and the like);
- Conduct employee training sessions on the protection of innovations through the patent process, best practices for maintaining confidential business information, contractor and vendor matters, and the overall development of intellectual property assets;
- Review proposed publications for patentability;
- Participate in the effective management of Shattuck’s external budget, including quarterly and annual budget reviews, quarterly forecasting, and reviewing outside counsel performance and invoices;
- Occasional domestic or foreign travel.
Critical Success Factors:
- Good Judgment: Demonstrate expertise and sound judgment, understand how assigned responsibilities support Shattuck’s business objectives, and be able to provide practical, risk- balanced advice based upon a thorough understanding of the scope of an issue, taking full advantage of internal networks and external intelligence.
- Collaboration: Firm understanding of available legal, functional, and business resources and ability to integrate information from a number of sources to achieve business results.
- Anticipation: Holistic, big picture thinker, who anticipates changes in law, enforcement, and/or business objectives and adapts approach as necessary to manage risks effectively and mitigate issues before they arise.
- Influencing Skills: Build strong relationships with Shattuck employees and contractors to tactfully influence and gain their support to drive desired outcomes.
- Demonstrated experience in building global IP portfolios & IP strategies, with in-house experience preferred;
- Experience in IP transactions including due diligence, M&A activities or license negotiations;
- Substantive involvement in adverse proceedings such as oppositions, litigations or post-grant proceedings (e.g. IPRs, reexaminations) preferred;
- B.S./B.A. required, with preferably a Ph.D. in biology, biochemistry, or another technical field relevant to the biotechnology industry;
- Minimum of 7 years working as a patent attorney or patent agent and counseling clients on intellectual property issues, with experience prosecuting biologics;
- USPTO registration in good standing;
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, facilitation, presentation, quantitative, analytical, organizational, and follow-up skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills and strategic thinking;
- Possession of initiative and self-motivation to provide the highest level of service.
to External Recruiters: Our Human Resources department manages all
open positions and candidate recruitment. We kindly ask that recruiters not
contact employees or hiring managers directly to present candidates or solicit
business. Please note that we will consider failure to comply with this request
when determining whether to enter into a professional relationship with a
recruiting agency. Please also note that submission of unsolicited resumes does
not create any obligations for Shattuck Labs, implied or otherwise.