Shattuck Labs, Inc. (www.shattucklabs.com) is a clinical-stage biotechnology company pioneering the development of bi-functional fusion proteins as a new class of biologic medicine for the treatment of patients with cancer and autoimmune disease. Compounds derived from Shattuck’s proprietary Agonist Redirected Checkpoint, ARC®, platform simultaneously inhibit checkpoint molecules and activate costimulatory molecules within a single therapeutic. The company’s lead wholly owned program, SL-172154 (SIRPα-Fc-CD40L), which is designed to block the CD47 immune checkpoint and simultaneously agonize the CD40 pathway, is being evaluated in a Phase 1 trial. A second compound, SL-279252 (PD1-Fc-OX40L), is being evaluated in a Phase 1 trial in collaboration with Takeda Pharmaceuticals. Additionally, the company is advancing a proprietary Gamma Delta T Cell Engager, GADLEN™, platform, which is designed to bridge gamma delta T cells to tumor antigens for the treatment of patients with cancer. Shattuck has offices in both Austin, Texas and Durham, North Carolina.
About the Position
Reporting to the Senior Director of Upstream Sciences and Manufacturing, the Process Development Scientist will be expected to work independently to execute and optimize upstream process activities. Specifically, the Scientist will be responsible for operating multiple bioreactors simultaneously as volumes ranging from 1-50 liters. The Scientist will be responsible for all aspects of the bioreactor cultures including seed train expansion, media preparation, bioreactor inoculation, bioreactor monitoring, bioreactor maintenance, cell culture harvest and cell culture clarification. A successful candidate will be able to multitask effectively in order to keep their independent projects moving at a rapid pace while also contributing to the team environment which characterizes our R&D team. A Shattuck mantra maintains that all employees must simultaneously be ‘head chef and dishwasher’, and it is essential that this is embraced by all applicants.
· Setup and operate bioreactors at the 1-50L scale to produce material for laboratory studies.
· Determine suitable harvest and clarification procedures.
· Media screening/development and fed-batch operation for bioreactor cultures.
· Culture harvest and clarification.
· Experience with cell cultures from the shake-flask stage through 500L+ operations using both transient and stably transfected cell lines.
· Third-party manufacturer management – when required the candidate may need to interact with CDMO’s and with Shattuck’s Quality and Regulatory groups to transfer processes and to assist with IND-related activities.
· Assist with review of batch records from manufacturing activities.
· Participate in product development project teams and present updates on Process Development activities.
· Design and execute protocols to support process development activities.
· Position may require travel and periodic evening and weekend work, as necessary to meet project deadlines and support bioreactor operations.
Qualifications and Requirements:
· BS 4 years or MS 2 years in a relevant discipline. Experience may be in academia or in the biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry.
· The ideal candidate will be experienced in some of the following:
o Cell culture and bioreactor systems for mammalian protein production
o Depth filtration, TFF, precipitation
o Media development/screening experience
· Cell line development experience.
· A successful candidate must possess exceptional attention to detail, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills, and demonstrate critical thinking and problem-solving ability.
· Must have the ability to multi-task to meet critical deadlines and the independent initiative to solve interdisciplinary problems.
· Candidate must be sharp, self-motivated, and able to thrive in a fast-paced dynamic biotech environment where flexibility, tolerability to rapid change, and drive to make a significant impact is essential.
· Must enjoy working in collaboration with others and small teams to achieve goals through effective building of relationships with co-workers.
Note to External Recruiters: Our Human Resources department manages all open positions and candidate recruitment. We kindly ask that recruiters not contact employees or hiring managers directly to present candidates or solicit business. Please note that we will consider failure to comply with this request when determining whether to enter into a professional relationship with a recruiting agency. Please also note that submission of unsolicited resumes does not create any obligations for Shattuck Labs, implied or otherwise.