What we do
Since 1973, the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center (BARCC) has been a leader in the movement to end sexual violence. BARCC empowers survivors of sexual violence to heal and provides education and advocacy for the social change needed to create cultures that prevent sexual violence. We rely on our dedicated, brilliant staff to do this important work, and our team is growing!
The Events Manager contributes to the success of BARCC and its financial sustainability by conceptualizing, organizing, and executing two signature fundraising events each year—the Champions for Change Gala (~650 attendees) and the Walk for Change (~2,000 attendees)—along with other donor cultivation and stewardship events. They are the primary lead to create and track event metrics. This role executes all event logistics, including coordinating corporate sponsor benefit fulfillment and in-kind sponsorships, volunteer and contractor resources, and marketing initiatives in partnership with the Development Director and Marketing and Communications Manager.
Where and when you’ll work
BARCC's staff, operations, hours, and locations vary by function, type of work, and work style. You’ll work from our Cambridge office, located at 99 Bishop Allen Drive.
This is a 40-hour, full-time position. You can expect to work regularly Monday through Friday with occasional evening hours for committee meetings and a few weekend days directly around the Gala and Walk. Additional hours may be required at times to meet event deadlines. BARCC is open to discussing options such as flexibility in scheduling and occasional remote work.
What you’ll do
- Assist in crafting strategy, plan, develop, and execute special events as a part of a coordinated annual development plan.
- Develop and manage planning committees and initiatives with a focus on member retention and growing event attendance and revenue at BARCC’s annual gala and walk.
- Collaborate with Development team on identifying, cultivating, and stewarding all funders and donors.
- Manage relationships with in-kind sponsors, contractors, key leaders/volunteers, and other individuals responsible for successful special events.
- Steward independent fundraising events and other events in conjunction with the gala and walk.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communications team to produce event materials (invitations, promotionals, signage, etc.), social media content and programming, and other creative marketing in support of special and annual events.
- Manage mailings and outreach efforts for events.
- Work collaboratively with Development and program staff to ensure BARCC events are well integrated across organization departments and programs.
- Cultivate, support, motivate, and steward peer-to-peer fundraisers, table captains, major donors, event committee members, etc. with Development Director.
- In coordination with the Development Director, orchestrate the speaking programs for BARCC’s annual events.
- Create and maintain event standard operating procedures (SOPs) for major responsibilities and projects.
- Handle inquiries and questions from donors and funders with appreciation, respect, and sensitivity.
- Manage Walk for Change website and IT support for fundraisers.
- Ensure and oversee up-to-date event records using donor management software, and ensure timely reporting/analysis of event results, as well as acknowledgements of in-kind donor contributions.
- Collect data and implement metrics/tools to measure the effectiveness of each Development event.
- Assist with planning event debriefings and developing recommendations for improvement for future events.
- Work with the Data team to create and maintain systems for accurate and useful event attendee, sponsor, and peer-to-peer fundraiser data management.
- Attend and participate in departmental, organization-wide, and other meetings.
- Act in the best interest of the organization, reflecting the values of teamwork, collaboration, and mutual respect.
- Perform other duties as needed or directed.
- Some local travel and evening/weekend hours required.
- Use event relationships and knowledge of donors to contribute to the prospect portfolios of gift officers.
- Provide consultation to other BARCC departments regarding events, for example the volunteer appreciation party, including contract review and venue research assistance.
- A love for events with three-plus years of experience planning and executing large-scale, strategic events such as galas, live/silent auctions, walks/races, etc.
- Proven success in motivating volunteers to drive and grow event revenue and attendance.
- Ability to utilize event metrics to determine return on investment as well as inform strategy and improvements.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, goal-oriented environment.
- Enthusiasm, creativity, a sense of humor, and a can-do attitude.
- Commitment to BARCC’s mission and philosophy.
- Salesforce experience preferred.
- Nonprofit experience preferred.
- Multilingual ability, Spanish fluency a plus.
What we offer
- The opportunity to make meaningful change and improve the lives of others through mission-driven work, at all levels of the organization.
- The most compassionate, supportive, and fun-loving colleagues around—who will shower you with warm welcomes, funny memes, and regular shout-outs for your contributions.
- An investment in your health, well-being, and professional development through competitive benefit offerings, generous time off policies, professional development funds and opportunities, and ongoing improvements to proactively manage vicarious trauma.
Starting salary range and benefits
$55,000–$65,000, depending on experience and skills. The total compensation package includes a generous benefits package, including health, dental, vacation, sick time, retirement savings, and other coverage options that you can view at barcc.org/jobs.
Hiring process and timeline
Please submit via our online application system your resume and cover letter stating your interest and related experience to be considered for this position. No phone calls please. We are accepting initial applications through July 31, 2019, but the opportunity will remain open until we find the best fit possible. The full hiring process will include a phone-screen interview, first-round in-person interview, a skills assessment, and final team interview. Reasonable accommodation provided upon request.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
For more information about BARCC, please visit barcc.org.