What we do
Since 1973, the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center (BARCC) has been a leader in the movement to end sexual violence. BARCC empowers survivors of sexual violence to heal and provides education and advocacy for the social change needed to create cultures that prevent sexual violence. We rely on our dedicated, brilliant staff to do this important work, and our team is growing!
Our Finance and Operations team is looking for a new full-time Office Operations Manager. You’ll work closely with the Finance and Operations Senior Director, staff, office support volunteers, and other stakeholders to ensure the smooth operations of all BARCC offices, ongoing maintenance, and improvement of office processes and facilities. A respectful and collaborative customer service focus in providing support to BARCC’s staff, consultants, interns and guests is essential to success in this role.
Where and when you’ll work
BARCC's staff, operations, hours, and location vary by function, type of work, and work style. You’ll primarily work from our Cambridge office, located at 99 Bishop Allen Drive, with regular travel to our Waltham and Boston offices as well.
This is a 40-hour, full-time position. You can expect to work regularly Monday through Friday. BARCC is open to discussing options such as flexibility in scheduling and occasional remote work.
What you’ll do
- Maintain a proactive routine of in-person facility oversight, care and attention in all BARCC locations, which currently consist of 83 workstations and 42 staff across 3 locations totaling 11,000 square feet.
- Serve as main contact for all emergent and planned building/facility maintenance and improvements. Resolve issues and requests in a timely and transparent manner and manage an organizational request and tracking system.
- Create a positive working relationship with building owners and property management companies, vendors, as well as colleagues needing assistance.
- Implement furniture, technology, and facility upgrades according to annual operational plan.
- Responsible for the facilities day-to-day operations (such as distributing building access keys and back-up to security access cards, etc.)
- Manage contracts with cleaning companies and ensure the facilities are clean.
- Coordinate office space improvements and expansion projects, including internal moves, furniture assembly, layout adjustments, and general housekeeping. Ensure compliance with ADA and BARCC’s disability access improvement plan.
- Negotiate and execute the purchase of furniture, office equipment, etc., for the entire staff in accordance with company purchasing policies and budgetary restrictions.
- Prepare setup for new employees, including workspace, equipment, users/email, etc. and deliver office and technology orientations.
- Respond to basic (Tier 1) IT needs, coordinate with outsourced IT provider for advanced support as needed.
- Communicate and resolve emergency operation issues, such as computers, phones, copiers, etc. in a timely manner.
- Oversee the continued operation of office equipment (copiers, printers, phones, etc.), troubleshooting issues and serving as liaison to vendors and service providers as needed.
- Manage phone extensions, building security needs, and office closure announcements.
- Maintain tracking system for equipment, including laptops, projectors, and other technical resources.
- Coordinate with technology consultants to arrange support meetings as needed.
General Office Support
- Maintain office responsibility and procedures lists and schedules; phone extensions, office coverage, kitchen cleaning, etc.
- Act as point person for boardroom and monthly staff reservations and troubleshooting support for resource calendars, which include managing room conflicts and reserving external meeting space as needed.
- Responsible for distributing mail daily, ensuring that the process for incoming revenue is followed and coordinate overnight delivery of critical documents including grants.
- Order office supplies as needed to meet the needs of the staff.
- Maintain an inventory tracking system for materials such as program brochures and business cards.
- Create and maintain tracking system for taxi vouchers used by clients.
- Coordinate purchasing for staff professional development and organizational needs, including conference registration, travel and special program grants.
- Oversee daily responsibilities of office support volunteer receptionist by responding to questions and providing backup support.
- Attend and participate in departmental, organization-wide and other team meetings.
- Act in the best interest of the organization, reflecting the values of teamwork,
- collaboration, inclusion, and mutual respect.
- Perform other duties as needed or directed.
- At least two years progressive office operations management experience with relevant technology and facility experience and an emphasis on customer service.
- The ideal candidate will be intrinsically motivated to support others with a “fix it” mentality. You’ll demonstrate superior customer service, unparalleled flexibility, stellar organization and follow through, clear communication, seamless collaboration, proactive anticipation of needs, and unwavering optimism.
- Ability to work effectively with vendors to meet organizational needs.
- Technology savvy with strong working knowledge of Google Suite and cloud-based tools and systems.
- Superior attendance, time management, project planning, and follow through.
- Supervisory experience of staff, interns, or volunteers preferred.
- Committed to BARCC’s mission and philosophy.
- Experience working in an environment where guests may be in crisis or under stress is helpful.
- Conversational fluency in Spanish a plus.
What we offer
- The opportunity to make meaningful change and improve the lives of others through mission-driven work, at all levels of the organization.
- The most compassionate, supportive, and fun-loving colleagues around—who will shower you with warm welcomes, funny memes, and regular shout-outs for your contributions.
- An investment in your health, well-being, and professional development through competitive benefit offerings, generous time off policies, dedication to mental health and proactively managing vicarious trauma, and professional development funds and opportunities.
Starting salary range and benefits
$55,000 - 65,000, depending on experience and skills. The total compensation package includes a generous benefits package, including health, dental, vacation, sick time, and other coverage options.
Hiring process and timeline
Please submit via our online application system your resume and cover letter stating your interest and related experience to be considered for this position. No phone calls please. We are accepting initial applications through December 29, 2018, but the opportunity will remain open until we find the best fit possible. The full hiring process will include a phone-screen interview, first-round in-person interview, skills assessment, and final team interview. Reasonable accommodation provided upon request.
At BARCC, we don’t just accept difference—we celebrate it and are always building a more inclusive and diverse work environment.
BARCC strives to represent the communities we serve. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.
For more information about BARCC, please visit barcc.org.