CATALOG is a rapidly expanding, Boston-based start-up on a mission to enable new paradigms for data preservation and computation. We are looking for a motivated entry-level engineer eager to work with an interdisciplinary team of biologists, engineers, and computer scientists. You will be responsible for routine operation and maintenance of our proprietary high throughput DNA writing system, used to build vast sets of information-encoding synthetic DNA molecules. As part of our rapidly expanding group, you will help to build, optimize, and evaluate molecular datasets at a scale enabling novel applications for the world’s first DNA storage and computing platform.
In this role you will:
- Operate a complex custom system for combinatorial synthesis of DNA
- Support research and development teams by creating specific DNA datasets on demand
- Maintain general lab state / condition for high throughput operations through 5S/Lean initiative
- Contribute to optimization and scaling of DNA writing capabilities to achieve throughput milestones
- Investigate failures, suggest mitigations, and test process improvements
- Actively contribute to developing quality standards and operational protocols by generating documentation on findings and SOPs
- Comply with all company policies including safety, operating procedures, quality, attendance, and proper on-the-job conduct
We are looking for someone driven by:
- An environment demanding fast-paced learning across multiple disciplines
- Interest in manufacturing methods and process development
- The opportunity to bring a ground-breaking technology to market
- You will also need to be able to:
- Work collaboratively, communicate effectively, and balance competing priorities
- Execute protocols efficiently with precision and attention to detail
- Sit or stand, use hands, climb stepstools, reach with hands and arms, see, listen, speak, and manipulate objects weighing up to 75 pounds.
Ideally, we are looking for someone with:
- A BS in mechanical or biochemical engineering with 1-2 years of practical industry experience
- Familiarity with concepts in molecular biology, DNA sequencing, biochemistry, data storage, and computing
- Hands-on experience in a molecular biology laboratory is a plus
- A knack for troubleshooting, critical thinking, and meticulous record keeping
- The confidence to respectfully share ideas, accept constructive input, and learn from failures
A career at CATALOG will challenge you to think critically and work creatively in order to conquer new problems in an unexplored and groundbreaking field. To do this, we believe in building an inclusive team with different points of view. CATALOG supports and celebrates diversity in our workforce. We provide competitive compensation packages and benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) with company matching, and unlimited PTO.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.