BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR - DOWNSTATE, INTERSECT ILLINOIS
About Intersect Illinois
Intersect Illinois is a nonproﬁt economic development organization that facilitates the attraction of new businesses and markets the state to domestic and global business leaders. Intersect Illinois’ mission is to bring jobs and investment to the state of Illinois through dynamic collaborations with industry, academic, and government partners and to support a unified approach to economic development. A public-private partnership, Intersect’s board of directors includes business and civic leaders representing the state’s diverse industries, geographies, and communities.
Intersect works directly with companies interested in exploring Illinois for their next relocation or expansion project. With its network of partners, including the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity, Intersect Illinois is committed to providing companies and site selection professionals with the information and resources to make investment decisions. Bringing a fresh approach to economic development, Intersect Illinois is comprised of a diverse team with deep domain experience, adapting best-in-class processes and procedures to build long-term relationships. Intersect Illinois operates with the highest integrity and key values, which include being consistent, responsive, professional, and connected while always acting with a sense of urgency to deliver continuity, trust, integrity, and accountability to the process of business attraction and expansion.
Business Development Team
The business development team at Intersect Illinois is responsible for bringing business opportunities to Illinois and managing the pipeline of projects to completion. The team works to promote Illinois’ assets and provide information to prospective companies that may relocate or expand in the state. The business development team is a primary point of contact for companies making location decisions, and works closely with site consultants, brokers, corporate end users, local economic development offices and communities, utilities, and other strategic partners. The team collaborates with State economic development leadership on major projects requiring programmatic support including incentives and grants.
The Business Development Director - Downstate (covering regions south of Interstate 80) will be responsible for communication with regional economic development organizations and local communities in Downstate Illinois, with a focus on the central and southern regions of the state. This director will assist in the coordinating of site visits, familiarization (“fam”) tours, and other business development activities in the area. The Business Development Director - Downstate will lead these efforts with the support of Intersect Illinois’ business development, research, and marketing teams.
The manager reports to the Vice President of Business Development and works closely with the Business Development Associate and Site Selection Managers.
• Develop and maintain relationships with economic development organizations, local communities, utility, industry, and transportation partners in Downstate Illinois
• Collaborate with State and local economic development partners to assist during site visits and other activities
• Manage recruitment, competitive expansion and relocation projects interested in Downstate Illinois
• Identify opportunities to partner with regional EDOs on research and marketing requests
• Regularly update Downstate communities regarding Intersect Illinois activities, events and services
• Attend community events and other in-state events as needed (travel required)
• Represent the organization through public speaking engagements
• Travel to the Intersect Illinois’ Chicago office for monthly team meetings and as needed
• Perform specials projects and duties as assigned
• This position requires a home or remote office space with opportunities to work out of regional/local economic development offices
• Functional knowledge: strong economic development connections and network in Downstate Illinois; experience cultivating and maintaining strong relationships; proficiency in real estate and site development, utility and transportation infrastructure evaluation and economic development
• Experience: 5 - 7 years of experience in economic development or related field
• Attributes: detail-oriented, excellent interpersonal written and oral communication skills with ability to engage effectively with various levels of management, staff and clients; team player with ability to work on multiple projects at one time in a fast-paced environment while meeting deadlines
• Skills/knowledge: understanding of the Illinois economy, economic development community and business community; understanding of business case development
• Degree: Bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, social sciences or related field required