DIRECTOR OF RESEARCH, INTERSECT ILLINOIS
About Intersect Illinois
Intersect Illinois is a nonproﬁt economic development organization that facilitates the attraction of new businesses and markets the state to domestic and global business leaders. Intersect Illinois’ mission is to bring jobs and investment to the state of Illinois through dynamic collaborations with industry, academic, and government partners and to support a unified approach to economic development. A public-private partnership, Intersect’s board of directors includes business and civic leaders representing the state’s diverse industries, geographies and communities.
Intersect works directly with companies interested in exploring Illinois for their next relocation or expansion project. With its network of partners, including the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity, Intersect Illinois is committed to providing companies and site selection professionals with the information and resources to make investment decisions. Bringing a fresh approach to economic development, Intersect Illinois is comprised of a diverse team with deep domain experience, adapting best-in-class processes and procedures to build long-term relationships. Intersect Illinois operates with the highest integrity and key values, which include being consistent, responsive, professional, and connected while always acting with a sense of urgency to deliver continuity, trust, integrity and accountability to the process of business attraction and expansion.
The research team at Intersect Illinois is responsible for collecting, analyzing and communicating information in order to empower internal and external partners in support of the mission to drive economic growth throughout Illinois. The research team collaborates closely with and supports the business development, corporate relations, executive and marketing teams.
The Director of Research oversees all activities related to the research department and manages a 3-4 person team, including interns. This position requires proactive thought leadership in order to set the research agenda for the organization, identify trends and new issue areas, and implement best practices.
• Develop research strategy and recommendations related to all facets of the Illinois economy, including state growth and competitiveness indicators, industry research, workforce analysis, policy evaluation and recommendations, business attraction strategy, and any other area that supports economic growth in Illinois
• Lead research department in its mission to empower others to bring jobs and investment to the state
• Develop recommendations for research initiatives and manage implementation of those initiatives
• Oversee and facilitate research-related communications between State economic development leadership, universities, nonprofits and other external partners
• Collaborate with the business development and marketing teams to produce research related to Illinois and competing markets
• Evaluate and identify new or alternative research tools to support organizational mission
• Identify opportunities for research-related process improvements, propose solutions and oversee implementation
• Oversee and evaluate Research Manager and Associate, as needed and appropriate
• Functional knowledge: experience developing and expanding multi-faceted research programs including a demonstrated ability to develop strategy for, resource, and manage complex projects with multiple activity streams under tight deadlines
• Proficient in: deep understanding and knowledge of research tools such as US Census, BLS, workforce analytics, economic impact, statistical packages and other related tools
• Experience: minimum 7 years of research or relevant work experience; minimum 3 years of experience conducting research in economic development or closely related field; minimum 3 years of experience managing a team
• Attributes: detail-oriented, excellent interpersonal written and oral communication skills, team player with strong management skills, ability to work on multiple projects at one time in a fast-paced environment
• Skills/knowledge: understanding of the Illinois economy and business community; familiarity with varying survey methodologies and statistical analysis
• Degree: Graduate degree in economics, public policy, urban planning or related field required
Please send resume, cover letter, 3 professional references, and research samples to: https://app.trinethire.com/companies/811-intersect-illinois/jobs/23825-director-of-research