DIRECTOR OF BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT, INTERSECT ILLINOIS
About Intersect Illinois
Intersect Illinois is a nonproﬁt economic development organization that facilitates the attraction of new businesses and markets the state to domestic and global business leaders. Intersect Illinois’ mission is to bring jobs and investment to the state of Illinois through dynamic collaborations with industry, academic, and government partners and to support a unified approach to economic development. A public-private partnership, Intersect’s board of directors includes business and civic leaders representing the state’s diverse industries, geographies and communities.
Intersect works directly with companies interested in exploring Illinois for their next relocation or expansion project. With its network of partners, including the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity, Intersect Illinois is committed to providing companies and site selection professionals with the information and resources to make investment decisions. Bringing a fresh approach to economic development, Intersect Illinois is comprised of a diverse team with deep domain experience, adapting best-in-class processes and procedures to build long-term relationships. Intersect Illinois operates with the highest integrity and key values, which include being consistent, responsive, professional, and connected while always acting with a sense of urgency to deliver continuity, trust, integrity and accountability to the process of business attraction and expansion.
Business Development Team
The business development team at Intersect Illinois is responsible for bringing business opportunities to Illinois and managing the pipeline of projects to completion. The team works to promote Illinois’ assets and provide information to prospective companies that may relocate or expand in the state. The business development team is a primary point of contact for companies making location decisions, and works closely with site consultants, brokers, corporate end users, local economic development offices and communities, utilities and other strategic partners. The team collaborates with State economic development leadership on major projects requiring programmatic support including incentives and grants.
The Director of Business Development is responsible for bringing business opportunities to the state of Illinois, proactive outreach and new client-relationship management, and tracking new markets and emerging trends. The director works with the business development team to find new opportunities for Illinois and deliver new projects. The Director of Business Development reports directly to the Vice President of Business Development and the two work together to supervise a team of business development and site selection managers and associates.
• Identify new business development project opportunities through direct engagement with companies, consultants, and the real estate community
• Develop relationships with strategic partners throughout state (e.g. universities, incubators) to increase pipeline of new business opportunities
• Promote Illinois’ assets, provide information and deliver pitches and presentations to prospective companies and partners
• Co-manage project pipeline with Vice President of Business Development
• Oversee and evaluate work of business development team, as needed and appropriate
• Perform special projects and duties as assigned
• Some domestic and international travel required
• Functional knowledge: strong business connections and network; experience in identifying potential clients, cultivating strong relationships with new clients, while maintaining existing client relationships
• Proficient in: deep understanding and knowledge of real estate and site development, utilities and transportation infrastructure
• Experience: minimum 7 years of proven business development and/or economic development experience with three years of experience managing projects; minimum of 2 years of personnel management experience; minimum of 2 years of experience with complex sales/selling to senior management
• Attributes: detail-oriented, excellent interpersonal written and oral communication skills with ability to engage effectively with various levels of management, staff and clients; team player with ability to work on multiple projects at one time in a fast-paced environment
• Skills/knowledge: understanding of the Illinois economy and business community; understanding of global location and site benchmarking, talent market benchmarking and evaluations, location operating conditions screening, country comparative risk analysis, variable operating cost modeling and business case development
• Degree: Bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, social sciences or related field required; Master’s degree in business management or business administration and/or project management certificate preferred
Please send resume, cover letter, and 3 work related references to https://app.trinethire.com/companies/811-intersect-illinois/jobs/23820-director-of-business-development