(Full Time – Chicago)
At Edovo, our mission is to help everyone connected to incarceration build better lives. We’ve created a secure digital platform to expand education behind bars, reduce recidivism and to support the vocational, rehabilitation and communication needs of the 2.2 million people in jails and prisons. Users have access to thousands of hours of self-guided learning materials. Upon release, our learners have the option to continue their progress on the outside. Edovo offers courses in subjects ranging from basic literacy and GED to career exploration and cognitive behavioral therapy. We’re also building tools to keep people in touch with jobs, social services, friends, and family. Our team is committed to supporting opportunities for justice-involved people.
Don’t take it just from us. Awards, publications, grants, and partnerships all around the country are recognizing the momentum and impact of Edovo. A select few: Global EdTech Startup Champion in London out of 1,000+ competitors; GIIRS Platinum Rating for social impact; MacArthur Foundation Grant Award Winner; Forbes article feature; Chicago Community Trust grant award winner; Impact Engine portfolio member; SXSW Civic Tech Innovation Pitch Competition runner-up; Chicago Innovation "Up and Comer" Award winner; and so much more.
The Senior Accountant serves a critical role in the day-to-day operations of the Finance function by ensuring the integrity of accounting information by recording, verifying, consolidating, and entering transactions in the financial system.
· Own the day-to-day accounting functions including account reconciliations, journal entries, AR, AP, & Billing.
· Prepare month-end reconciliations and supporting documentation
· Prepare monthly customer invoices and assist with cash collections
· Review transactions to assure accounting treatment is in accordance with GAAP and company policies & procedures.
· Liaise with contract accounting firm for maintenance of the general ledger and completion of month-end close procedures.
· Analyzing billing transactions to ensure proper allocation of revenue recognition policies.
· Review general ledger accounts and making all necessary journal entries including posting daily, monthly, quarterly and yearly accruals.
· Assist in building financial statements including balance sheet, income statement and changes in financial position, as well as budget variance analysis.
· Preparing year-end schedules for the annual tax returns.
· Providing necessary support for external auditors.
· Seeking ways to improve upon accounting processes and procedures.
· Assisting with and handling special projects, as needed
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
· Team player with a positive attitude towards contributing and learning.
· Thorough knowledge and experience in the areas of financial statement preparation, GAAP, SOX, and revenue recognition.
· Strong verbal/written communication skills.
· Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to work well independently and in a team environment.
· Self-starter, quick learner, and ability to multi-task on a regular basis.
· Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills and deadline driven.
· Capacity to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
· Strong sense of ownership on issues and following through to completion.
· Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
· Experience working in accounting systems (Xero, NetSuite, Quickbooks, etc.) strongly preferred.
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting; CPA preferred.
· 4-6 years in accounting, auditing or tax; Big 4 experience a plus.
The amount of travel required for this position may vary with time, but it is anticipated that it will involve 10% travel.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
This is a full-time position in Chicago, IL. We’re looking forward to hearing from you. If you’ve had the chance to read all the way to the end, please let us know by putting “[Unlock potential]” at the beginning of your resume or cover letter.