(Full Time – Chicago)
At Edovo, our mission is to help everyone connected to incarceration build better lives. We’ve created a secure digital platform to expand education behind bars, reduce recidivism and to support the vocational, rehabilitation and communication needs of the 2.2 million people in jails and prisons. Users have access to thousands of hours of self-guided learning materials. Upon release, our learners have the option to continue their progress on the outside. Edovo offers courses in subjects ranging from basic literacy and GED to career exploration and cognitive behavioral therapy. We’re also building tools to keep people in touch with jobs, social services, friends, and family. Our team is committed to supporting opportunities for justice-involved people.
Don’t take it just from us. Awards, publications, grants, and partnerships all around the country are recognizing the momentum and impact of Edovo. A select few: Global EdTech Startup Champion in London out of 1,000+ competitors; GIIRS Platinum Rating for social impact; MacArthur Foundation Grant Award Winner; Forbes article feature; Chicago Community Trust grant award winner; Impact Engine portfolio member; SXSW Civic Tech Innovation Pitch Competition runner-up; Chicago Innovation "Up and Comer" Award winner; and so much more.
The Controller serves a critical role in the Finance function by ensuring the integrity of accounting information by performing and overseeing the day-to-day operations of recording, verifying, consolidating, and entering transactions in the financial system.
- Lead and mentor the accounting team with hands-on involvement in the execution and oversight of day-to-day accounting operations and related processes, including (but not limited to) the monthly close, AR, AP, Billing, Payroll and Asset/Inventory Management.
- Design and prepare accurate and timely reporting on a monthly, quarterly, and year-end basis including financials.
- Develop and maintain internal controls and procedures to ensure compliance with GAAP, corporate policies and procedures.
- Review transactions to assure accounting treatment is in accordance with GAAP and company policies & procedures.
- Lead the relationship with the contract accounting firm for maintenance of the general ledger and completion of month-end close procedures.
- Analyzing billing transactions to ensure proper allocation of revenue recognition policies.
- Review general ledger accounts and making all necessary journal entries including posting monthly, quarterly and yearly accruals.
- Assist in building financial statements including balance sheet, income statement and changes in financial position.
- Oversee the annual external audit and tax filings including:
- Preparing and reviewing year-end schedules for the annual tax returns.
- Providing necessary support for external auditors.
- Management of all regulatory requests and filings, including (but not limited to) state registration, sales and use and other indirect tax filings.
- Continuously seek ways to improve upon existing accounting processes and procedures.
- Assisting with special projects, as needed
- Direct supervision of one staff and one senior accountant
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Team player with a positive attitude towards contributing and learning.
- Capacity to thrive in a fast-paced, impact-driven environment.
- Thorough knowledge and experience in the areas of financial statement preparation, GAAP, SOX, and revenue recognition.
- Self-starter, quick learner, and ability to multi-task on a regular basis while working well independently and in a team environment.
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills and deadline driven.
- Strong sense of ownership on issues and following through to completion.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
- Experience working in accounting systems (Xero, NetSuite, Quickbooks, etc.) strongly preferred.
- Strong verbal/written communication skills.
- A CPA or CMA designation is required
- 8-10 years of progressive experience in accounting and finance roles, including at least four years of experience in a supervisory role, preferably as a controller, assistant controller or similar position
- Must be a working manager capable of operating in a fast-paced environment with mastery skills in Excel
- Experience with commercial accounting and ERP systems, a plus
- Expert knowledge and understanding of U.S. GAAP and financial statement preparation and reporting.
- Experience with multi-state indirect tax compliance including (but not limited to) sales and use tax and business registration, telecom experience a plus
The amount of travel required for this position may vary with time, but it is anticipated that it will involve 10% travel.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
This is a full-time position in Chicago, IL. We’re looking forward to hearing from you. If you’ve had the chance to read all the way to the end, please let us know by putting “[Unlock potential]” at the beginning of your resume or cover letter.