About Communities in Schools:
At Communities In Schools, we are “all-in” for kids. It is our passion—it is our mission. At the National Office, we collaborate with local affiliate organizations, to provide resources and create communities of caring adults who work hand-in-hand with educators to make sure young people have the tools they need to stay in school and achieve in life. We are the nation’s largest dropout prevention organization, serving 1.5 million students in 2,400 sites across the country. We achieve this mission by hiring bright, creative, and innovative team members who have a passion for what we do.
About the Role:
Behind our mission is a diverse, creative, and innovative team with a passion for what we do. As the graphic design intern, you will play a vital role in helping the communications team raise awareness about the mission and effectiveness of the organization; increase engagement among new and existing audiences, and develop a strong and consistent visual identity for the brand.
Working closely under the supervision of the director of marketing, and in close partnership with a graphic design specialist, specific duties will include:
- Designing email, website, and social media graphics to support research, fundraising, and policy initiatives.
- Assisting in the development of print marketing collateral for events and conferences.
- Leading a special internship project to design, print, and install custom marketing campaign artwork for our redesigned office space.
- Managing and responding to design requests—such as resizing graphics, adding logos and creating easy-to-use templates—for our network of 155 independent affiliated organizations, many of whom lack their own in-house designer.
- Overseeing the development of a shared web-based photo library that can be leveraged by national office and affiliate staff to search and download images for marketing collateral
- You will have the following expertise, skills, and competencies.
- Current enrollment in an Associates or Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, or related field
- Experience in but not limited to digital media, print production, and publication design.
- Excellent writing, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to pay close attention to detail and work efficiently under tight deadlines.
- Strong design skills reflected in a current portfolio of school assignments.
- Proficient with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator.
- Familiar with or ability to learn Microsoft Publisher.
- Proficient with both MAC and PC operating systems.
- Understanding of how to work with brand guidelines.
- Availability to work 20-25 hours per week.
What we offer:
- Work that makes a difference—the opportunity to contribute to an important mission.
- A culture recognized by the Non-Profit Times as the #2 Non-Profit Best Place to Work in the United States.
- An opportunity to gain experience in a Marketing & Communications function
- Commuter subsidy benefits.
Communities In Schools is committed to a workforce that is representative of the varied communities we are privileged to serve. We provide a work environment that does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Communities In Schools prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories