About Communities In Schools:
At Communities In Schools, we are “all in” for kids. It is our passion—it is our mission. At the National Office, we collaborate with local affiliate organizations, to provide resources and create communities of caring adults who work hand-in-hand with educators to make sure young people have the tools they need to stay in school and achieve in life. We are the nation’s largest dropout prevention organization, serving 1.5 million students in 2,400 sites across the country. We achieve this mission by hiring bright, creative, and innovative team members who have a passion for what we do.
At CIS we are committed to cultivating an engaged culture where all are recognized and valued for their contributions. We intentionally build experiences, provide space for individual and group voices across multiple dimensions. We also hold the following talent beliefs:
· Every staff member is passionate and committed to our mission. Our work is grounded in the success of our students.
· Our decisions and priorities are guided by how we can fulfill our mission and serve kids with quality.
· As a National Office, we have a duty to live our values and integrate principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our organization and lead by example.
In turn, we are committed to continuously improving decision making, incentivizing creativity, and building engagement. We do this by building a diverse workforce, fostering a climate of inclusion and shaping business practices and policies that promote equity.
About the Role:
The Communications Intern will play a vital role in helping the Marketing and Communications team and the organization raise awareness about the mission and effectiveness of Communities In Schools, increase engagement among new and existing audiences, and help develop a strong and consistent online voice for the brand. The intern will report directly to the Director, Digital Strategy, and the Senior Digital Communications Manager.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
· Currently in a Bachelor’s or Master’s program (or recent graduates) with an interest in digital marketing and communications, public relations, marketing, events and/or related field
· Minimum of 6 months of related work experience
· Interest in the education landscape
· Basic knowledge of AP style guide
· Basic knowledge of writing for audiences online and through print media
Additional Skills and Abilities:
· Interpersonal skills
· Ability to multi-task
· Ability to work under tight deadlines
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
· 30% - Write highly engaging content for distribution on the CommunitiesInSchools.org website and beyond; including and not limited to: stories, news items, blogs, press releases, web page copy, etc.
· 30% - Assist the Senior Digital Communications Manager with social media content development, listening, and engagement, email marketing development, website maintenance, and monthly reporting.
· 30% - Assist the Principal of Events with event support and administrative duties for events and webinars such as Student Supports Institute, Milliken Dialogues, Community Chats, Leadership Town Hall, and the State of the Network Address.
· 10% - Administrative and database support as assigned.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
TRAVEL: No travel required.
What We Offer:
· Work that makes a difference—the opportunity to contribute to an important mission.
· A culture recognized by the Non-Profit Times as the #1 Non-Profit Best Place to Work in the United States.
Communities In Schools is committed to a workforce that is representative of the varied communities we are privileged to serve. We provide a work environment that does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Communities In Schools prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories