About Communities In Schools:
At Communities In Schools, we are “all-in” for kids. It is our passion—it is our mission. At the National Office, we collaborate with local affiliate organizations, to provide resources and create communities of caring adults who work hand-in-hand with educators to make sure young people have the tools they need to stay in school and achieve in life. We are the nation’s largest dropout prevention organization, serving 1.5 million students in 2,400 sites across the country. We achieve this mission by hiring bright, creative, and innovative team members who have a passion for what we do.
About the Role:
As Staff Accountant, reporting to the Accounting Manager, you are responsible for administering the accounts payable and receivable processes and procedures; as well as coordinating the corporate credit card and business travel account processes.
- 30% Prepares, reviews and mails customer invoices. Maintain pledges and accounts receivables and follows up on any past due/unpaid invoices with customers. Reconcile revenue, receivables, and deferred revenue on a regular basis.
- 25% Prepare checks for deposit and perform data entry and database review for all cash receipts for all contribution (e.g., online donations) and program revenue. (e.g., training and licensing)
- 15% Assist with the preparation of event budgets & cost approvals; track event actual costs against budget and prepare reports of event costs upon request. Prepare sales tax filings and exemptions for states where events are held.
- 10% Serve as point of contact for any customer payment questions from staff or customers; researches customer accounts by examining payment plans and payment history to respond to inquiries.
- 10% Prepare investment reconciliations on a monthly basis.
- 10% Assist with other tasks as needed, such as the following areas in accounts payable:
- Complete weekly check run, including reviewing all invoices and expense reports for correct coding, mathematical accuracy, proper support and approval signature and compliance with financial policies and procedures.
- Serve as point of contact for staff questions regarding accounts payable and receivable.
- Administer the corporate credit card and business travel account processes, including distribution of credit card for staff use, reviewing all supporting documentation for proper coding and approval, reconciling the monthly bill to receipts and preparing journal entries.
- Train new hires on the account payable and account receivable processes. Develop and facilitate refresher training for all staff on A/P and A/R procedures and processes.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of experience with accounts receivables/payables and/or accounting field within the nonprofit sector.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business related field strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of accounting principles and applications.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Excel, Access, Word and Outlook required. Prior experience with SharePoint highly desired.
- Prior experience with accounting software and databases highly desired.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent written and communication skills. The ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, legal language or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and policy or procedure manuals. Ability to express ideas concisely and clearly, both orally and in writing.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and the capacity to work well with diverse individuals at all levels, inside and outside the organization.
- Strong analytical skills. The ability to gather, understand and synthesize information from a variety of sources.
- The ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, and percentages; and work with mathematical concepts and apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Strong organizational and time management skills required, as well as the ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Accounts receivable and investment reconciliation experience strongly preferred.
What we offer:
- Work that makes a difference—the opportunity to contribute to an important mission.
- A culture recognized by the Non-Profit Times as the #1 Non-Profit Best Place to Work in the United States in 2018.
- Competitive and comprehensive compensation and benefits package.
- Generous paid time off benefits.
- Commuter subsidy benefits.
Communities In Schools is committed to a workforce that is representative of the varied communities we are privileged to serve. We provide a work environment that does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information or any other basis protected by applicable law. Communities In Schools prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.