This Operations Engineer position will support satellite and network engineering for a major UltiSat customer network using Very Small Aperture Terminals and terrestrial (MPLS and Internet VPN) connectivity at over 300 sites around the world. The engineer will provide Tier 2 and 3 escalation support and will coordinate with Network Operations Center staff and Engineering staff to resolve network problems for an UltiSat global non-governmental organization (NGO) customer during Central European Time (CET) business hours (0200 – 1200 EDT). The position is based at UltiSat’s head offices in Gaithersburg, MD
Basic duties include operational and maintenance support of satellite communications and IT systems, including concepts, principles, practices, procedures, and operational techniques, focusing on satellite network management systems and IP networks. The engineer will support the full system engineering lifecycle including, integration, testing, and solution implementation. The engineer will work on problems of diverse scope and regularly interact with the customer and/or functional peer group managers.
REQUIRED EDUCATION/SKILLS: Qualifications: Candidate must be US Citizens and have a Bachelor Degree in EE, CS or related field and a minimum of 10 years’ experience in Tier 2 and 3 installation and operations support of network communications, including LAN/WAN/CAN and satellite systems.
Experience working with VSAT satellite systems required. Knowledge of and experience with government and military customers extremely helpful. Must be able to work with minimal supervision in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment. Must possess excellent communications skills and be able to interact with a variety of people including customers, vendors, field service engineers, NOC operators, and other employees. Knowledge of and experience with IP networks and VoIP required. The individual shall:
· Be capable of analyzing network problems and recommend solutions. Be able to write root cause analysis reports, monthly status reports, analyze network performance and review trends to determine network degradation and recommend corrective action and solutions
· Manage and provide guidance to junior level operations engineers
· Manage and support field service engineers in the installation and maintenance of VSAT remote installation
· Have a minimum of 10 year experience in testing, installing, and implementing VSAT communications equipment
· Be experienced with RF transceivers, Satellite Modem, Routers, Switches and Network Management Systems.
· Be able to develop documentation including test plans and user manuals.
· Candidate be familiar with Cisco routers and switches, IPSEC, VPN, and Firewalls
· Expertise with various baseband and RF electronics test equipment.
· Capable of evaluating communications test results and making recommendations to correct any identified discrepancies.