In a world where talent is equally distributed, but opportunity is not, iMentor is fighting to rebalance the odds and give every young person a chance to realize their dreams. iMentor builds mentoring relationships that empower students in low-income communities to graduate high school, succeed in college, and achieve their ambitions. Students work with their mentors one-on-one, in-person and online, to develop strong personal relationships, nurture a college aspiration, navigate the college application process, and build critical skills that lead to college success. iMentor partners with public schools to ensure every student in the schools receives a mentor.
Since 1999, iMentor has connected more than 33,000 students with mentors, and this year iMentor is serving 10,000 students across the country. iMentor Chicago launched in 2015 with 207 pairs, and has grown to serving 1,334 students at 4 schools in 2018-19.
iMentor has been recognized through funding from many of the leading education funders in the country, including the Ballmer Group, the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation, the Robin Hood Foundation, the Bezos Family Foundation, New Profit Inc., and the Kresge Foundation. As a team, we are collaborative, fun, bring passion and joy to our work, and deeply believe in human potential. iMentor was recently named one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For by The Nonprofit Times. Read more about our work and values at: http://www.imentor.org
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We believe that people of all backgrounds deserve equal access to educational opportunities. Recognizing that our country’s history of racism and systemic oppression continues to drive educational disparities for students of color, we give special focus to addressing the economic and racial divides that impact the communities we serve. We are committed to the collective work and intentional investment necessary to consistently move in the direction of educational equity and inclusion.
iMentor seeks a Development Manager (DM) to build and sustain strategic relationships and cultivate new sources of funding in Chicago during a period of significant growth for the organization. They will join a growing development function to execute a comprehensive development strategy to meet fundraising goals across diverse revenue streams, with an overall goal of raising $2.1M this year. This is an exciting opportunity for a driven professional with strong philanthropic networks, demonstrated success in reaching ambitious fundraising goals, and an interest in helping drive system-wide improvements in education. This role will be critical to iMentor's ability to raise essential support that will sustain the organization and expand its impact over the long-term for Chicago Public School students.
The DM will be detail-oriented, a skilled project manager, and excited by the opportunity to work in an entrepreneurial environment as part of a growing team. A quick learner who demonstrates an eagerness to continually strengthen their understanding of iMentor’s work, impact, successes, and challenges. Through grant writing, reporting and pipeline building, this person will play a critical role in supporting iMentor Chicago’s growth. The DM will report directly to the Senior Director of Development to drive fundraising strategy to support an ambitious five-year strategic growth plan in Chicago.
- Research new prospects to strengthen iMentor’s pipeline across revenue streams: foundations, corporations and individual funders.
- Support the development of cultivation strategies for both new and current foundation funders utilizing Salesforce, LinkedIn Wealth Engine, Charity Navigator and Foundation Center.
- Ensure data entry and gift processing by updating and maintaining iMentor’s Salesforce database of foundation funders & prospects.
- Write exceptional grant proposals and reports for institutional funders, letters of inquiry, internal briefing documents and memos, and other communications and materials, as needed, effectively and succinctly capturing iMentor’s work and impact.
- Build relationships with key departments within iMentor – e.g., program, finance, and research and evaluation – to aggregate data and information that will help inform and tailor grant requests to strongly align with the grant-making priorities of each foundation.
- Devise a stewardship and communications plan for the grant’s portfolio that engages supporters with the stories of mentor-mentee pairs, iMentor national impact, and the broader organizational development of iMentor.
- Collaborate with Mentor Community and Program team to co-lead annual individual giving and crowdsourcing campaign(s).
- In support of Sr. Director of Development, attend quarterly associate board meetings, engage with members and support ongoing projects associated with the board.
- Support iMentor organization-wide initiatives
- Three (3) or more years’ experience in relevant field, including journalism, marketing, member/constituent services and the non-profit sector
- The ideal candidate will have experience fundraising across multiple revenue streams, strong business development instincts, and a understanding of the philanthropic landscape in Chicago.
- Strong writing skills with ability to demonstrate persuasive writing and articulate clear and concise thoughts.
- Sharp analytical skills to figure out the inputs that lead to desired outputs, figure out what’s missing, what’s superfluous, and how to do it better with a strong focus on systems and process.
- Proven track record of relationship development with ability to balance mutually beneficial relationships and work collaboratively toward outcomes.
- Exceptional project management skills and ability to balance multiple, complex projects in a highly deadline-driven environment.
- Displays resiliency and realistic optimism when articulating challenges in their work and ability to use a solutions-based, collaborative approach to drive change.
- Flexible and adaptive to effectively manage changing priorities and new opportunities.
- Deep commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion and aligned in thought and action with iMentor's values.
- Support organization-wide and development team initiatives and events. Includes some weeknight evenings.
- Demonstrated alignment with iMentor's mission, values, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Views differences between individuals (race, gender, age, cultural heritage, physical ability, education, beliefs, and lifestyle) as an asset and demonstrates an appreciation of the diversity across the iMentor community.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Our organization works in partnership with district public schools across the country. In doing so we must meet all compliance requirements of those districts.
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Up to 100% employer funded comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- 18 days paid annual vacation and 13 paid holidays, and most iMentor functions closed between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- 401K match up to 4%
- Significant opportunities for professional development and growth
How to Apply
Visit www.imentor.org/jobs to submit a resume and detailed cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for this position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Sorry, due to the high-volume of applicants for this and other positions here at iMentor, no phone, email, mail, or fax inquiries will receive a response.
iMentor is an Equal Opportunity Employer