iMentor builds mentoring relationships that empower students in low-income communities to graduate high school, succeed in college, and achieve their ambitions. Students work with their mentors one-on-one, in-person and online, to develop strong personal relationships, nurture a college aspiration, navigate the college application process, and build critical skills that lead to college success. In New York City, Chicago, and the Bay Area, iMentor partners with public schools to ensure every student in the schools receives a mentor. iMentor also provides its curriculum, technology, and best practices to help nonprofits run effective programs in the iMentor model.
This year, iMentor NYC will serve over 3,800 mentor-mentee pairs at 14 public high schools throughout Manhattan, Brooklyn and the Bronx, where a majority of students served will be first-generation college graduates. Since 1999, iMentor has connected more than 25,000 students with mentors and this year, iMentor is serving nearly 9,000 students across the country.
iMentor has been recognized through funding from many of the leading education funders in the country, including the Ballmer Group, the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation, the Robin Hood Foundation, the Bezos Family Foundation, New Profit Inc., and the Kresge Foundation. iMentor is one of the nation’s most innovative and quickly growing college success organizations. As a team, we are collaborative, fun, bring passion and joy to our work, and deeply believe in human potential. iMentor was recently named one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For by The Nonprofit Times. Read more about our work and values at: http://www.imentor.org
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
We believe that people of all backgrounds deserve equal access to educational opportunities. Recognizing that our country’s history of racism and systemic oppression continues to drive educational disparities for students of color, we give special focus to addressing the economic and racial divides that impact the communities we serve. We are committed to the collective work and intentional investment necessary to consistently move in the direction of educational equity and inclusion.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Operations & Volunteer Engagement, the Coordinator, Corporate & Community Engagement will support the execution of iMentor NYC’s volunteer recruitment strategy with the goal of recruiting mentors for the 2019-20 program year. With the support of the Associate Director of Operations & Volunteer Engagement, the Coordinator maintains systems and executes projects that contribute to achieving the recruitment and engagement team’s goals in the areas of recruitment, mentor orientation, mentor community, appreciation and support. The Coordinator will support in planning and executing recruitment and engagement events. The Coordinator will manage communication with a pipeline of potential volunteers with the goal of signing them up for Mentor Orientation, encouraging action and prioritizing customer service.
The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in volunteer and relationship management, operations, and logistics. The Coordinator will be successful in providing exceptional customer service coordinating large projects and events, and have the ability to connect with and motivate individuals of all ages and backgrounds.
Prospective Mentor Communication
- Send email reminders/make calls for orientation, incomplete applications, updates, and notices to volunteers about next steps in the process, with a goal towards volunteers attending mentor orientations
- Support prospective and ready to be matched (RTBM) mentor communication, including targeted communication, monthly newsletters, and phone campaigns
- Provide exceptional customer service throughout the recruitment process
- Support recruitment sessions and other recruitment events on iMentor’s behalf
Orientation & Event Support
- Staff orientation/Go Pass events: set up for events, greet potential mentors, coordinate sign in, support lead facilitators where needed
- Managing mentor registration for orientation events
- Communicate with mentors pre-orientation to ensure high training attendance and follow through, rescheduling orientations for prospective volunteers
- Collect orientation surveys and support the training facilitators
- Communicate with orientation facilitators to schedule facilitation dates
- Collect, input, and contact mentor referrals collected during orientations
- Complete post-orientation tasks including processing of mentor contracts, outreach to individuals who did not attend orientation, and updating online postings with new upcoming orientation dates
- Support in planning and execution of recruitment and engagement events: supply/food ordering, vendor management and other event logistics
Data and Systems
- Utilize Salesforce to track effectiveness of recruitment efforts and support on reporting progress toward goals; reflect on and report recruitment progress
- Manage databases for orientations and other recruitment and engagement events
- Support team in creating, managing and pulling reports and data from Salesforce, including managing recruitment dashboards and campaigns
- Post, update, and monitor online volunteer recruitment opportunities
- Manage biweekly team meeting calendar and agenda
- Respond in a timely manner to email and phone inquiries from prospective volunteers
- Manage team expense reports and submit monthly finance reports
- Support Senior Director of Mentor Engagement and team as needed with administrative tasks (i.e. managing recruitment collateral inventory, auditing mentor contracts)
- A minimum of 2-3 years of experience in volunteer and relationship management, recruitment, operations or communications public speaking or community organizing
- Excellent written communication skills, with an eye towards messaging and marketing
- Ability to work independently and within a large team
- Flexible and adaptable with a sense of humor; open to change, learning, and improvement
- Proven organization and time management skills to complete a high volume of varied responsibilities in a fast-paced setting with excellent attention to detail
- Strong detail-orientation with excellent organizational, time management and follow-up skills
- Exercise a high level of discretion and professional judgment
- Demonstrated alignment with iMentor's mission, values, and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Views differences between individuals (race, gender, age, cultural heritage, physical ability, education, beliefs, and lifestyle) as an asset and demonstrates an appreciation of the diversity across the iMentor community.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Our organization works in partnership with district public schools across the country. In doing so we must meet all compliance requirements of those districts.
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Up to 100% employer funded comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- 18 days paid annual vacation and 13 paid holidays, and most iMentor functions closed between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- 401K match up to 4%
- Significant opportunities for professional development and growth
How to Apply
Visit www.imentor.org/jobs to submit a resume and detailed cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for this position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. Sorry, due to the high-volume of applicants for this and other positions here at iMentor, no phone, email, mail, or fax inquiries will receive a response.
iMentor is an Equal Opportunity Employer