Day Zero Diagnostics (DZD) is an exciting revolutionizing infectious disease diagnostics, by leveraging cutting-edge sample prep technologies, whole genome sequencing and machine learning. We are building the next generation of IVDs, able to perform comprehensive bacterial species ID and antimicrobial resistance and susceptibility (AMR/S) profiling in less than 8 hours of sample receipt, without the need for culture.
Our first application is for Sepsis. Sepsis is responsible for about a third of hospital deaths and costs hospitals in the US about $24B annually. Using the current culture-based approach for pathogen ID and AST that takes 2-5 days and has a 40% failure rate, patients with Sepsis are treated with broad-spectrum antibiotics, leading to significant toxicity, higher rates of organ injury, increased risk of c. difficile infection, and contributing to the growth of the antibiotic resistance problem, globally.
By providing an accurate and comprehensive diagnosis within the first cycle of treatment, patients can get appropriate antibiotic therapy for systemic infections such as sepsis, reducing hospital treatment durations and costs.
At Day Zero Diagnostics we are passionate about our mission of modernizing infectious diseases diagnosis and treatment. Employees gain experience in a multidisciplinary and fast-paced start-up, and have ample opportunities to acquire new skills, engage with emerging technologies, work closely with our accomplished team, and communicate their results, all while working in a supportive and energetic environment.
The Lab Research Associate II/ Senior RA will work closely with an interdisciplinary team of scientists, RAs, and engineers to test and optimize our diagnostic workflows to support DZD’s efforts to develop a commercial diagnostic device.
- Perform and assist with sample processing toward diagnostic workflows
- Contribute to the development, testing, and validation of device prototypes
- Strictly follow all lab procedures for specimen handling, processing, and reporting
- Maintain meticulous documentation of experimental outcomes and observations
- Work closely with Research Scientists and Associates, and maintain close communication with direct supervisor
- Bachelor's Degree in molecular biology, biochemistry or microbiology from a four-year college/university and 1-2 years of related academic or industry research lab experience
- Alternative Requirement: Associates degree with minimum 4 years of lab experience in a research setting or clinical laboratory.
- Experience with laboratory methods/techniques associated with molecular and microbiology, including culture and quantification of microorganisms, media/buffer preparation, and PCR/qPCR.
- Comfortable handling human clinical specimens
- Handle a high volume of sample processing to meet deadlines and assess priorities to handle fluctuating workloads on an interdisciplinary team
- Flexibility to work after hours
- Work at high levels of accuracy and attention to detail
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.