BARBRI, a Francisco Partners portfolio company is a global learning company dedicated to meeting the legal education and specialized training needs of law students, attorneys and other professionals throughout their careers. BARBRI's success is built upon its unmatched technology and innovative pedagogy, combined with the ability to harness data analytics, behavioral economics, learning science, and more to develop solutions for learners and institutions. Building on the success of its core bar courses, which have helped more than 1.3 million lawyers around the world pass a U.S. bar
exam, BARBRI offers a comprehensive suite of learning solutions for higher education institutions and law-related businesses which includes U.S. bar prep, curriculum, assessment, global license preparation, online program management, and professional development. BARBRI, founded in 1967, is headquartered in Dallas, Texas, with offices throughout the United States and around the world.
This role will lead all aspects of BARBRI’s domestic and international acquisition activities, including evaluating potential transactions, managing due diligence activities, and leading deal negotiations, and coordinating post-acquisition integration activities.
- Manages the M&A transaction process from identification of potential targets to close, leveraging prior M&A knowledge and experience. Deep understanding of operational, accounting, tax, legal, regulatory and human resource implications that a proposed transaction would have on BARBRI.
- Applies sound business judgment to routinely make recommendations on significant transaction terms with potentially large financial implications (i.e., indemnification provisions, working capital).
- Demonstrated results of managing M&A transactions.
- Coordinate with the BARBRI business units and corporate FP&A to develop the five-year operating and valuation models, including providing input on assumptions, levels of return, and strategic value to BARBRI.
- Management and coordination of transaction teams, comprised of members from the business unit, corporate functions, and external resources such as outside legal counsel, consulting, and accounting teams. In this role, the Vice President will need to ensure that the teams understand the transaction process, help the team identify and understand key issues and risks in the transaction and drive the team to recommendations and decisions on deal points.
- Responsible for negotiating the transaction terms, including the letter of intent and all transaction-related documents, with appropriate input from the business unit, legal and corporate leadership teams.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to the business unit leadership teams and members of the Board throughout the transaction, including updates on the transaction, leading discussions, and providing recommendations to resolve issues and presentations to the executive team requesting formal approval to proceed with the transaction.
- As a member of the business development team, work with others on the team to continually improve the business development processes at BARBRI.
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of BARBRI’s businesses and long-term strategic objectives to effectively support and drive “high impact” analysis of potential targets.
- Working with business leaders to support the sourcing of acquisition targets and driving the realization of the M&A pipeline.
- Partner with BARBRI leadership to research potential targets and understand industry trends.
- Support the development and updating of BARBRI’s M&A strategy to identify potential targets that are aligned with company priorities.
- Manage the target pipeline for potential acquisitions in conjunction with senior leadership that supports BARBRI’s growth plans.
- Contact and build relationships with identified acquisition targets, learning their strengths and weaknesses, and assessing whether they are viable acquisition opportunities.
- Perform strategic and quantitative analysis on potential targets, driving the business case and financial modeling.
- Determine appropriate valuation and transaction structure by understanding complex financial models including income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow statements.
- Working with counsel, review and negotiate legal documents related to acquisitions and divestitures.
- Lead and manage due diligence efforts with the support of both internal teams and external advisors to ensure appropriate review.
- Prepare and present consistent and concise presentations for the leadership team and Board; provide analysis and recommendations to assist with strategic decision making.
- Support any capital raising efforts required to fund acquisitions.
- Lead pre and post-closing integration, and collaborating with business and functional leaders to integrate the acquired businesses
- A minimum of a four (4) year bachelor's degree in business, finance or accounting, or related field or equivalent experience
- MBA or CPA preferred
- Expert level Excel and technology user
- Experience working with and presenting to C-level required
- Education, training, or technology specific industry or experience
- 5+ years of experience in corporate development at either a major corporation or private equity-owned company or investment banking
- Meaningful M&A transaction experience to include hands-on experience in prospecting opportunities, maintaining a pipeline, deal structuring, managing due diligence, and negotiating transaction terms.
- Strong financial background and ability to demonstrate a balance between being highly strategic, with a deep understanding of the financial implications of prospective deals.
- Highly operational, able to dive into the details required to structure the best commercial arrangements.
- Strong communications skills with the ability to develop compelling arguments and confidently and concisely present analysis and recommendations to senior leadership.
- Strong presentation development skills with the ability to develop high quality, clear, board style presentations.
- Enjoy and comfortable with building relationships with business owners of all types and backgrounds.
- Excellent analytical skills to assess fit from commercial, operational, and financial perspectives.
- Strong project management skills; able to handle multiple projects concurrently.
- The successful candidate will: own complex financial models and valuations; perform strategic and quantitative analysis; analyze target companies and industries; prepare competitive analysis; manage due diligence; support integration activities and develop compelling presentations that outline recommendations and support.
- Global or multi-national experience desirable. Must be willing to travel globally.
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S./sponsorship is not available for this position.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by an extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental, and vision benefits with competitive pricing. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning, and culture.