Do you want to help shape the future as our business expands? Do you love making technology that changes lives? At BARBRI, we believe that advances in the behavioral and learning sciences, coupled with emerging technology, offers a chance to create amazing learning opportunities for the students we serve. Our technology team is a group of top-tier professionals, passionate about building the learning technology of the future
For over 50 years, we have helped aspiring lawyers pass the bar exam, and do better in Law School. Every student deserves the most effective educational experience possible. With your help, we can make that happen.
This is a full-time employee position. The Full-Stack Software Engineer w/UI Focus is a member of the development team responsible for completing user stories that would result in both front and back-end development. In addition, the Full Stack Software Engineer w/UI Focus, together with the Cloud Application Architect will be responsible for leading the modernization of the user interface and implementing processes to continuously improve the user experience.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Organize, clean, and modernize the CSS of the existing website. Implement the use of pre-processing (SASS/LESS or others) where appropriate.
- Utilize wireframes built by a UX team to improve the look and feel of the existing website with limited updates to legacy UI code.
- Work with Software Quality Engineer to ensure UI is testable by chosen visual testing framework. Communicate changes and ensure tests are updated when the UI structurally changes.
- Work with Cloud Application Architect to identify and evaluate new UI framework to re-build and modernize website. Lead adoption by mentoring team in its use and best practices. Lead UI implementation effort, ensuring conformance to agreed best practices with code reviews and mentorship.
- Measure usability gaps and UI errors through existing Real User Monitoring (RUM) tool. Work with the product owner and UX resources to propose and prioritize changes to improve user experience. Implement A/B testing of UI changes to ensure improvement of desired outcomes. Make usability metrics visible to internal stakeholders using existing monitoring tools (Dynatrace).
- Implement secure back-end services to support front-end functionality. Write production-ready, scalable code to integrate with SaaS APIs, query and update SQL and NoSQL databases.
Required Experience and Skills
- Thought leadership in a modern UI framework such as Vue, React, or Angular with at least one live, public-facing application deployed to a cloud provider such as Azure or AWS.
- The candidate must possess strong HTML and CSS skills to include experience in maintaining a consistent and optimized visual appearance and behavior across Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and Edge browsers on a variety of devices and screen sizes.
- Familiarity with Git source control. Has used CICD pipelines in a tool such as Jenkins, Azure DevOps or Gitlab.
- Experience tuning the UI from feedback gathered from rapid prototypes, A/B testing, and RUM tools.
- Proficient in back-end web service development using C# (ASP.NET Core) or Java (Spring Boot). The candidate has mentored other developers and ensured good coding practices are followed by conducting code reviews.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. A history of working efficiently and effectively with remote teams both state-side and abroad.
- Must be experienced in both legacy and modern web development. Has utilized Spring MVC, JSP, JQuery, as well as modern single page application frameworks such as VueJS, React, or Angular.
- Must be able to work in the US without company sponsorship.
Preferred Knowledge and Skills
- Has implemented a mobile application that has been accepted into either the Google Play or Apple App Store.
- Has previously utilized a reactive extensions implementation
such as RxJS, Rx.NET, Vue-rx, or similar.
- Familiar with Microsoft Azure cloud services.
- Experience with Telerik Kendo UI and Bootstrap.
- The ability to self-manage, innovate, learn, and be a leader within their role.
- A love for learning new technologies in a company with a rapidly evolving technology stack.
When applying please provide one or more links to live website(s) and/or app(s) where the candidate was a primary hands-on developer of the UI.
Future Coworker Wish List
We asked our team members what they wanted in a new coworker. We feel this gives a potential candidate a feel for our team and ensures our team has a voice in the process. Here is what they said, word for word:
- Hunger for knowledge and striving to find elegant solutions to complex
- Flexibility, and the ability to adapt to new circumstances and
- The ability to teach and mentor other team members in areas in which they
- Ideally, they have personal projects they work on that demonstrate that they stay up to date with new techniques and
- The ability to maintain professionalism in stressful
- Effective and frequent communication with team members and project stakeholders.
- Being a quick learner.
- Self-motivation – someone who can get things
- Stays positive, and wants to see the whole team
- Hunger to grow and