With over 50 years’ experience and over one million students, BARBRI is the #1 provider of Bar Review courses. BARBRI is a fast-growing company that provides prospective and current law students with access to exam prep courses through a variety of rich media environments and platforms.
The Cloud Applications Architect is a combination of a subject matter guru, trusted advisor, and cloud services authority. You will be responsible, working as part of our Software Development team, to help define the tools, processes, and methods, and develop systems that will utilize Public clouds.
The qualified candidate must be self-motivated with a proven track record of delivering results in Cloud Native Architecture. Applicants will have a demonstrated ability to create solutions in complex situations, develop solution strategies, motivate development resources, and deliver results.
The Cloud Applications Architect is responsible for leading the creation of a technology framework and providing technical leadership in support of BARBRI’s initiatives in developing cloud-native LMS applications with a focus on the design of applications that run-in cloud platforms. The Cloud Applications Architect would be embedded into the Cloud-DevOps effort to provide architectural leadership and best practices. Additionally, the Cloud Applications Architect will be responsible for working with the Infrastructure team, ensuring that critical applications are designed and optimized for high availability.
The ideal candidate will have 5 or more years’ experience in designing and architecting complex applications, a research or academic environment is a plus. This position requires strong leadership and team-building skills and must be able to collaborate effectively with a group of high performing individuals.
- Strong desire to take a lead role in continued application modernization efforts
- Cloud Application Architecture, Design and Development (Docker and Kubernetes)
- Providing deep software development knowledge with respect to cloud architecture, design patterns, and programming.
- Support the full project lifecycle - to include strategy, design, implementation, and automation, as well as production-readiness and documentation activities.
- Participate in the definition of application architecture, technology stack, research new technologies, and prototype new ideas.
- Develop future state cloud blueprints for key systems along with a transition plan and a roadmap, prototype solutions as needed.
- Demonstrate knowledge of cloud architecture and implementation features (OS, multi-tenancy, virtualization, orchestration, elastic scalability)
- Demonstrate knowledge of CI/CD methodology
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert to the organization for BARBRI’s cloud end-to-end application architecture
- Develop a library of deployable and documented cloud design patterns, based on the BARBRI application portfolio, as a basis for deploying services to the cloud
- Demonstrate leadership ability to back decisions with research and the “why,” and articulate several options, the pros and cons for each, and a recommendation
- Maintain overall industry knowledge on the latest trends, technology, etc.
- Contribute to DevOps development activities and complex development tasks
- Work with the Infrastructure team to define optimal design patterns and solutions for high availability and disaster recovery for applications
- Drive scope definition, requirements analysis, functional and technical design, application build, product configuration, unit testing, and production deployment
- Work closely with the BARBRI Systems team to ensure applications are built to the high standard of cloud-based architecture implemented by the Systems team.
- Ensure delivered solutions meet/perform to technical and functional/non-functional requirements
- Provide technical expertise and ownership in the diagnosis and resolution of an issue, including the determination and provision of workaround solution or escalation to service owners
- Ensure delivered solutions are realized in time frame committed; work in conjunction with project sponsors to size and manage scope and risk
- Provide support and technical governance, expertise related to cloud application architectures, deployment, and operations
- Provide thought leadership in industry and to fellow team members across the business and technical project dimensions solving complex business requirements
- Demonstrate forward-thinking around where the organization is going and how technology can support these efforts
- Advocate and define cloud application architecture vision from a strategic perspective, including internal and external platforms, tools, and systems
- Act as the coach and mentor to team members and technical staff on their assigned project tasks
- Develop a cohesive team and ensure their continued success
- Lead the definition and development of cloud application reference architecture
- Conduct product work reviews with team members
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, systems analysis or a related study, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience spanning at least two IT disciplines, including application architecture, application development or middleware
- Experience as a team lead preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in cloud architecture required
- Experience with relational and non-relational database platforms (MSSQL)
- Experience with Azure and Azure DevOps preferred
- Exposure to multiple, diverse technologies and processing environments
- Knowledge of all components of an application architecture
- Knowledge of business process re-engineering principles and processes
- Strong understanding of network architecture and application development methodologies
- Strong understanding of SOA, object-oriented analysis and design, and/or microservice design
- Experience working in a research or academic environment preferred
- Must be able to work in the US without sponsorship.
Our benefits and work culture:
- Competitive compensation
- Awesome Tech - Whatever tech you need we will provide!
- Awesome Downtime - Generous and flexible paid time off
- Remote work is available
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Company matched 401K
- In-house training, certifications and tech conferences, and speaking opportunities
- Beyond Software: Be nice and do good. Make a difference in someone’s life.