Title: Data Specialist
Location: Los Angeles (remote)
Reports to: Vice President, Emerging Risk
☒ Full-time or ☐ Part-time
☐ Exempt or ☒ Non-exempt
We are Praedicat, a funded InsurTechp headquartered in Los Angeles, with additional offices in New York and London. Our business is helping other businesses make the world cleaner, safer and healthier, and we do it with a foundation deeply rooted in science, technology, analytics and a business-minded approach to client service. We deliver innovative new predictive models that use cutting edge quantitative analytics and technologies to help our clients future-proof their business. Our people are our greatest assets, and we enjoy a unique and special culture that thrives on hard work, being kind and staying curious. If that sounds like you, read on.
· Making a difference: Our products deliver data from peer-reviewed science into the workflow of businesses, empowering our clients to make better decisions that result in cleaner technologies, safer products, a healthier environment while driving profitable and sustainable growth. That’s making a difference.
· Multidisciplinary collaboration: We believe in collegiality and multidisciplinary collaboration. We work really well together even though our areas of expertise vary dramatically. We leave our egos at the door because when we listen to understand, rather than to respond, we learn from each other and build off each other’s ideas. And that leads to solutions.
· Hard problems and cutting-edge technologies: What’s the next asbestos? Imagine if you could answer that billion-dollar question. How might you use that knowledge? How many lives would be saved? When you are tackling hard problems and trying to answer hard questions, you employ every tool in your tool kit…and our tool kit is chock-full of cutting-edge technology like artificial intelligence, machine learning, big data manipulation…and heart.
We are looking to hire a Data Specialist who will report to the VP, Emerging Risk. You will be expected to develop an understanding of Praedicat’s clients and proprietary analytics and think creatively about how Praedicat can solve their problems through data-driven solutions delivered through software and analytics.
Applicants will be asked to complete a short technical exercise as part of the application process
- Work with other modeling team members to analyze data sources, design and implement data models, and build repeatable processes for assimilating and maintaining data
- Collect data to inform quantitative models of exposure and damages
- Perform various tasks of data ingestion, data transformation, and data visualizations
- Conduct data analysis, data integration, data management and feature engineering
- Understand and programmatically implement mathematical, statistical data, and computational solutions
- Create internal documentation for data sets and completed analyses
· Bachelor of Science or Master’s degree in a quantitative field (bioinformatics, bioengineering, chemistry, engineering, mathematics, physics, economics, etc.) plus 2 years of experience or equivalent
· Ability to solve problems thoroughly, quickly, and creatively with an eye for detail
· Hands-on experience in many aspects of data management activities involving large data sets (e.g., data gathering and profiling, data analysis, pipeline creation, data validation)
· Experience using data analysis packages and ability to independently produce in-depth analyses of large data sets
· Proven track record of leveraging large amounts of data to solve real-world problems
· Strong written and verbal communication skills to support interactions with subject matter experts and create documentation as needed
- Subject matter knowledge in environmental science, chemistry, and/or medicine-related areas
- Facility with SQL, data manipulation, and data analysis for business intelligence
- Expertise in data modeling, integration, and cleansing
- Experience with modeling approaches such as regression analysis, principal component analysis, clustering, etc.
Incentive Compensation and Benefits
Praedicat believes in a work-life balance that is supported by a competitive compensation and benefits package. All full-time permanent employees are eligible for benefits such as:
· Participation in Praedicat’s Stock Incentive Plan offering equity-based incentives for employees
· The ability to contribute to a Praedicat-sponsored 401(k) plan
· Medical insurance coverage, with HMO, PPO and HDHP options, as well as dental and vision coverage
· Company-paid basic life, accidental death & dismemberment, and long-term disability insurance plans
· Allotment of PTO (paid time off) and official holidays each year
· Eight hours of paid time off to volunteer at a non-profit organization, per calendar year
Praedicat, Inc. is dedicated to improving the underwriting and management of liability catastrophe risk. Our multidisciplinary team leverages cutting-edge analytics to solve problems for clients. Our patent-pending technology delivers information extracted from scientific literatures on emerging risk. We analyze the risk with a structured approach incorporating applied legal reasoning and economics. Our analysis is focused to directly inform core business functions of liability insurers and reinsurers. Praedicat is developing a comprehensive system of software products, Litagion® Risk Management, designed to bring 21st Century science-based risk analytics to liability insurance. Praedicat was created by the RAND Corporation and Risk Management Solutions, Inc. after the two companies collaborated on research and development to improve the identification and prioritization of emerging risks using modeling and cutting-edge computer science. Praedicat is an independent corporation launched in March 2012.
Praedicat is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with Praedicat is determined on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.