Director, Research and Development
Join our mission of ensuring the safety of the air we breathe.
SafeTraces is a rapidly growing San Francisco Bay Area company with ground-breaking indoor air safety verification technology that has a wide range of applications across the built environment. Through novel particle chemistry, molecular biology and DNA tagging technology, our solutions deliver independent, science-based performance data for real world environments that ultimately saves lives, money, and energy.
About the position
SafeTraces is looking for a Director of R&D who will play a pivotal role in the future of our company. The Director of R&D is responsible for directing and managing the R&D functions and for the scientific coherence across different projects and solutions, integrating multiple disciplines and processes into a scalable, world-changing solution for our customers. She/he also focuses on building and maintaining external relationships with the scientific community and leads research grant work for the company. The candidate is responsible for leading and building a high-performing team of scientists, coordinating closely with other functions across the organization, and being a valuable team member. This position requires adaptability and flexibility in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
What you’ll be doing
- Lead, manage, and mentor a growing team of scientists
- Lead, develop, and communicate an integrated R&D roadmap to all stakeholders
- Lead, plan, develop, and manage R&D and laboratory deliverables
- Drive innovative ideas and solutions through leadership and action
- Be part of our culture of being collaborative, respectful, transparent, ethical, efficient, high-achieving, and fun!
What we’re looking for
- 5+ years of relevant experience with managing teams of scientists
- M.S. or PhD. in molecular biology, biochemistry, environmental sciences, or related discipline
- Experience with PCR technology, data analytics, and intersection between the two
- Proven track record of successfully developing and scaling new solutions in a fast-paced environment
- Experience building and leading high-performing R&D teams
- A highly analytical approach combined with superior problem-solving skills and the ability to lead and communicate cross-functionally
- Team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills