GENERAL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
Southern California University of Health Sciences strives to open doors, generate ideas, support our students, and elevate SCU with the power of the alumni community with their time, talent, and treasure. Director of Alumni Relations will share the alumni’s amazing achievements, build lasting relationships, and generate support for important campus programs and initiatives. The incumbent will serve as the on-campus spokesperson for over 11,000 alumni. The Director will provide leadership and strategic guidance to the Alumni Board and Alumni Association. They will define and lead the creation and implementation of goals, strategies, collaborations, and outreach that will meet the University objectives and enable SCU to grow and further engage its constituent base. The Director will define a culture of philanthropy that supports key institutional priorities and fosters lifelong relationships between SCU and its communities of alumni.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide vision, leadership, and oversight to Alumni Relations, SCU Alumni Board and its committees and other partners to plan and execute the vision and strategy of the University related to engagement and services for alumni of SCU.
- Plan and implement a comprehensive alumni relations and services program that involves alumni, students, faculty, and staff to advance the reputation of the University.
- Engage alumni in the life of SCU through targeted, consistent, and positive communication using digital and social media, exceptional customer service and meaningful opportunities for service, personal and professional development and events and programs.
- Identify and launch alumni benefits program by identifying vendors that will provide discounted services to alumni.
- Plan, develops, and implements strategies for alumni-specific programs, events, and activities; including at least two alumni events each year and one alumni career panels to promote alumni-student networking and mentorship.
- Create networks/connections: Alumni to Alumni, Alumni to University and Alumni to Student; all to foster deeper connection to the university. This position will be responsible for developing targeted events, services, and resources for each of these categories.
- They will collaborate with Student Services colleagues to provide career services for alumni including job fairs, professional development workshops, recruiting new health science employers, and implementing a digital job board.
- Partner with Marketing to build out a dedicated alumni page(s) on SCU website & develop a bi-annual digital alumni newsletter.
- Provide Marketing with to provide 10 alumni success stories each term as part of the comprehensive alumni relations social media campaign.
- Develop and execute plans and activities for alumni affinity groups (program specific, special interest, professional affiliations, etc.) identifies and cultivates volunteer leadership, develops strategies for the success of each group, and supports their events and activities.
- Serve as an advisor for the Alumni Board to ensure that they are developing goals, objectives, and that they are met; communicating to the designated groups that their objectives are being met.
- Ensure alumni records are current in Razor’s Edge and able to pull data from this system to locate and connect with alumni and/or provide analysis and reporting to the University from it.
- Partner with IAI on the development, distribution, and analysis of the First Year Destination Survey.
- Develop Out-of-State Alumni program for University Presidential travel to meet with alumni/alumni groups.
- The Director will also be responsible for the qualification of prospects and donor management.
- Contributes the overall success of Alumni & Constituent Relations by working on special projects and performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the AVP of Student & Alumni Services
- This position will be Hybrid.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Five years or more of successfully leading a membership-based organization.
- Five or more years of successful development or direct marketing experience, or related experience in marketing is required.
- Demonstrated experience cultivating and engaging volunteer leadership.
- Demonstrated experience with financial management, forecasting, event planning, and activity coordination.
- Experience working with non-profit boards and 501(c) (3) corporations.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Demonstrated understanding and knowledge of the alumni constituencies and the principles/foundation of alumni relations. Advanced skills to develop and successfully aff to implement strategies designed to achieve alumni and external relations outcomes favorable to the best interests of the institution.
- Advanced skills to represent senior campus and / or medical center management and effectively respond to inquiries from alumni and other key constituencies.
- Advanced written, verbal, interpersonal communication, and leadership skills, including attentive listening skills and the skill to effectively think quickly and respond appropriately. Advanced and in-depth knowledge of the campus including short- and long-range strategic plans, vision, goals, objectives, infrastructure, programs, achievements, and awards; advanced knowledge of current affairs and issues in higher education.
- Advanced skill in advocating for and representing the institution to its various publics. Advanced knowledge of alumni and other key constituencies and skill in intuiting and addressing external concerns while ensuring appropriate and adequate support for campus concerns and issues.
- Advanced strategic planning, analytical, negotiation and political acumen skills.
- Strong leadership qualities, including the ability to provide direction and motivation to others through communication, personal integrity, optimism and high achievement, thereby inspiring confidence, and trust.
- Advanced degree
- Knowledge of Blackbaud/Razer’s edge CRM Understanding of academic environment or other complex organization.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of: Microsoft Office, Insight, Zoom, Blackbaud
Must be punctual and timely in meeting all requirements of performance, including, but not limited to, attendance standards and work deadlines; beginning and ending assignments on time; and scheduled work breaks, where applicable.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common specific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors
- Analytical – Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experiences to complement data; Design workflows and procedures.
- Design – Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into programs and resources. Uses feedback to modify designs.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Project Management – Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manges project team activities.
- Technical Skills – Assess own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Excellent communication: written & verbal skills
- Active listener
- Strong Negotiation & Influence ability
- Positive attitude
- External Working Relationships – Develops and maintains positive and effective working relationships with clients, vendors and/or any other representatives of external organizations.
- Understand the Importance of Building Community.
- Empower others and role model Leadership Skills.
- Utilize Data and Resources.
- They Have a Vision and a Plan.
- They Create Collaborative, Inclusive Learning Environments.
- They Are Passionate About Their Work.
- Business Acumen – Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Cost Consciousness – Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures.
- Safety and Security – All employees are responsible for observing safety and security procedures and applicable and reporting potentially unsafe conditions to management.
Manages student workers and is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of unit. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees, and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES/ QUALIFICATIONS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk to hear. The employee is frequently required to sit; and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; comb or balance; stop; kneel, crouch or crawl; and taste or smell.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to more than 40 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Expectations of SCU Employees:
The SCU President’s Cabinet has identified a set of values and attributes that are bare minimums for employment, those that are core to who we are as a university, and values to which we aspire. Further identified are qualities and attributes desirable for employees in general, and senior leadership specifically. This is in harmony with principles found in The Advantage, by Patrick Lencioni.
SCU Core Values:
1) Integrative Health: We teach, learn, collaborate, and lead by creating an open environment for multiple disciplines and professionals to bring their shared and unique skills together for the benefit of patients and students.
2) Evidence-based Practice: We value a culture of inquiry, assessment, research, scholarship, and judicious use of current best evidence to inform our decisions and work.
3) Health Equity: We value people equally. We strive to educate graduates that are prepared to improve individual and community health.
4) Inclusivity: We welcome everyone regardless of age, race, ethnicity, class, religion, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, disability, or any other similar or protected status. We believe inclusivity leads to more diversity in our reasoning, better representativeness in our conclusions, more ingenuity in our problem solving, and greater equity in our care
1) Customer service focused
2) Willing to invest in student/client success by fostering positive relations, guidance, and assistance
3) A belief that no task that improves the University is beneath us/servant leadership
4) Be an ambassador of the brand
5) Be a part of recruitment
6) Resource innovator
Profile-Specific Qualities by Category:
1) They promote positivity and teamwork
- They actively work to build up teams and break down silos
- They actively work to be part of the solution
- They actively work to empower themselves and their teammates, working together in decision making processes
2) They see how they can affect the bigger picture
- They understand how their role helps to build the future of integrative healthcare
- They pay attention to the details.