About the Job
We are currently seeking a Senior Project Engineer for our Madison, WI location. This position will serve as a retrocommissioning engineer on our smart building analytics team. Candidate should have retrocommissioning experience, a robust understanding of commercial HVAC systems and control strategies, aptitude for analytical problem solving, willingness to do field work, and passion for saving energy and improving building performance.
Nexant’s smart building analytics team uses automated fault detection and analytics software to identify cost-effective energy and maintenance cost saving opportunities for our commercial, industrial, and utility customers. We are using smart building platforms to transform traditional retrocommissioning services into ongoing real time energy management (RTEM) services that provide customers with the ability to continually commission their facility to maintain optimal energy performance and comfort.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Retrocommissioning - Lead (traditional) retrocommissioning projects on commercial buildings, including site visits, data acquisition and analysis, opportunity identification, savings quantification, report writing, and verification of savings. This will require travel.
- Real time energy management - Use smart building platforms (e.g. SkySpark, Buildpulse, Switch Automation) to conduct retrocommissioning and ongoing energy management of facilities and portfolios. Ongoing energy management will include using the smart building platform as a tool to provide building owners and operators actionable insights to keep their building operating efficiently on a weekly or monthly basis.
- Energy Assessments and Measurement and Verification - Conduct ASHRAE Level II energy assessments and provide measurement and verification services for customers seeking PACE funding through the PACE WI program.
- Technical resource - Support Nexant’s utility-scale energy efficiency programs as a technical resource when needed.
- Experience with retro commissioning, Level II Energy Assessments, or writing control sequences
- A strong understanding of mechanical and electrical systems and principles: HVAC and controls, lighting, motors, thermodynamics, fluids, and heat transfer
- Thorough knowledge of typical energy savings opportunities in commercial buildings, and experience using spreadsheets to perform energy savings calculations
- Ability to manage multiple projects while meeting deliverable deadlines and budgets
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, presentation, and analytical skills
- Bachelor or Master's degree in mechanical or similar engineering;
- PE or intent to pursue
- 5 years of experience in a directly related field
- Experience with a smart building or analytics platform such as SkySpark, Buildpulse, or Switch Automation.
- Experience with monitoring-based commissioning (MBx) continuous commissioning, or real time energy management (RTEM).
Salary and Benefits
Nexant offers competitive salaries based on candidate's qualifications. Nexant also offers three weeks paid vacation per year, eleven paid holidays per year, sick time, a 401(k) plan with employee matching funds and an overall comprehensive benefits package.
About Nexant’s Madison, WI, Office
Nexant’s Madison office is a wonderful place to work. Our office is filled with a vibrant mix of engineers, programmers, scientists, and business professionals who strive to maintain a healthy work-life balance. We are a passionate and friendly bunch. Our office includes indoor bike parking and showers, good coffee, a fridge stocked with free drinks and healthy snacks, lively lunchroom conversation, and an organic vegetable garden.
Nexant is a globally recognized software, consulting and services leader that provides innovative solutions to utilities, energy enterprises, chemical companies and government entities worldwide. Founded in 2000 and headquartered in San Francisco, Nexant and its 500+ employees work from 32 global offices providing deep technical expertise and regional knowledge to improve customer engagement, boost operational efficiency, reduce costs and achieve superior business results.
Nexant supports clients through four distinct business units:
• Nexant Energy Software has developed and commercialized a number of industry-leading software platforms and applications, including Nexant iEnergy®, Nexant Grid360™, and Nexant iHedge®
• Nexant Utility Services works with clients to drive customer energy savings, ensure cost-effective program design, implementation and management, and promote customer engagement
• Nexant Energy & Chemicals Advisory provides strategic planning, project development, competitor analysis, market and price forecasting, and NexantThinking™, a subscription program and online product portal.
• Nexant Government Services assists developing countries with energy sector policies, infrastructure, financing, and access to affordable electricity.
Every day, Nexant employees partner with customers to reimagine the world we live in and create a more sustainable energy tomorrow.
Nexant, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.