About the Job
We are currently seeking an Engineering Manager for our Northwest regional delivery area which includes WA, OR, ID, UT, MT, WY, and N. CA. This position will serve as a technical manager and specialist in commercial buildings and/or industrial processes and systems to support projects in our Energy Efficiency Business Unit. Candidate should have experience leading energy efficiency technical teams and providing energy consulting services, be comfortable with hands-on measurements, and must have excellent communication skills. Successful candidates must demonstrate ability to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of the position. Our clients include public agencies, investor-owned utilities administering ratepayer-funded energy efficiency programs, energy end users, and energy service companies. This is position may reside at our Salt Lake City, UT office or remote in Oregon or SW Washington with regular in-person interaction with team members across the region.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and lead a team of engineers
- Manage technical aspects of project reviews and mentor reviewing engineers to improve their skills
- Maintain quality of deliverables and customer communication and promote continuous improvement
- Conduct/lead commercial and/or industrial energy audits (both scoping-level and investment-grade) at small to large commercial buildings and/or medium to large industrial facilities to identify and recommend energy efficiency improvements in systems such as but not limited to: HVAC, compressed air, refrigeration, data centers, process heating, industrial processes, motors, boilers, pumping, food processing, and lighting
- Provide technical assistance to support energy efficiency project implementation. Support may include calculations, scope development, implementation details, and/or impacts on operations
- Complete energy modeling, economic analysis, and/or simulation to quantify energy impacts of recommendations
- Write technical reports summarizing results from energy audits and/or retro-commissioning services to quantify savings amounts and incentive payments
- Maintain the highest level of quality control of deliverable products (for your work and others), demonstrating technical excellence, objectivity, and clarity while maintaining project schedules
- Provide advanced technical direction to other staff. Mentor and train junior engineers on various energy efficiency projects, including energy auditing, Measurement & Verification, and commissioning/retro-commissioning
- Conduct measurement and verification of energy savings as warranted
- Meet with clients to co-manage projects, present results, and develop new scopes of work
- Negotiate industrial energy efficiency project measure & verification approaches with third party engineering firms
- Meet overall project budgets and profitability targets
- Provide the highest level of customer service, including reliable and responsive service
- May include supervisory responsibilities
- Work cross-functionally with other Engineering Managers across Nexant
- Potential engineering group leadership opportunities based on qualifications
- Ability to travel locally up to 30%
- Bachelor’s or Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar engineering preferred;
- PE in Mechanical Engineering CEM, CEA, CBCP, or CMVP highly preferred or intent to pursue
- A strong understanding of mechanical and electrical systems and principals: HVAC, lighting, motors, thermodynamics, fluids, and heat transfer
- 8+ years of experience in a directly related field
- Experience in the following areas is a plus:
o Direct to customer outreach and project development
o Design and specification of HVAC, electrical, building automation/controls
o Commissioning and/or retro-commissioning test procedures, schematic diagrams, and system specifications
o Industrial energy audits or studies
o Building and energy modeling/simulation tools (e.g. Trace, DOE-2, eQuest)
o Calculation of energy savings for commercial HVAC and/or industrial process energy efficiency improvements
o Familiarity with electrical measurement equipment and how to use it
- Ability to work remotely and manage multiple projects while meeting deliverable deadlines and budgets
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, presentation, and analytical skills
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office programs including Word and Excel
Salary and Benefits (U.S.)
Nexant offers competitive salaries based on candidate's qualifications. Nexant also offers three weeks paid vacation per year, eleven paid holidays per year, a 401(k) plan with employee matching funds and an overall comprehensive benefits package.
Nexant is a globally recognized software, consulting and services leader that provides innovative solutions to utilities, energy enterprises, chemical companies and government entities worldwide. Founded in 2000 and headquartered in San Francisco, Nexant and its 500+ employees work from 32 global offices providing deep technical expertise and regional knowledge to improve customer engagement, boost operational efficiency, reduce costs and achieve superior business results. Our core values are: integrity, community, communication, creativity, impact, curiosity, and passion.
Nexant supports clients through four distinct business units:
• Nexant Energy Software has developed and commercialized a number of industry-leading software platforms and applications, including Nexant iEnergy®, Nexant Grid360™, and Nexant iHedge®
• Nexant Utility Services works with clients to drive customer energy savings, ensure cost-effective program design, implementation and management, and promote customer engagement
• Nexant Energy & Chemicals Advisory provides strategic planning, project development, competitor analysis, market and price forecasting, and NexantThinking™, a subscription program and online product portal.
• Nexant Government Services assists developing countries with energy sector policies, infrastructure, financing, and access to affordable electricity.
Every day, Nexant employees partner with customers to reimagine the world we live in and create a more sustainable energy tomorrow.
Nexant, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.