About the Job
Nexant is seeking an industry-recognized expert in grid modernization to join its Grid Management Consulting group. The person that fills this Principal Consultant position will be responsible for helping build and lead a consulting practice that will support electric utilities in their decarbonization, decentralization and digitization efforts. The person will be a key part of Nexant’s Grid Management practice taking a lead role in the definition, design and development of its future grid modernization offerings.
Examples of projects that this Principal Consultant would be expected to lead may include: developing roadmaps for utilities for integrating smart grid technologies to improve reliability, resiliency and integrate distributed energy resources (DERs), studies targeted towards improving distribution planning and procurement processes to fully consider non-wires solution alternatives and projects related to improving controls and communications for DERs. DER technologies of particular interest include PV solar, electric vehicles (EV) and EV chargers, and battery energy storage.
The individual hired for this critical leadership position will be expected to successfully identify opportunities, lead proposal development activities, secure and execute projects. This position will require domestic and international travel for approximately 5-20% of the time.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Provide professional consulting services related to the strategy, planning, operation and maintenance of client power grids, primarily in the area of distribution systems and DERs.
· Serve as the company’s expert in grid modernization, smart grid technologies, emerging grid-edge technologies, and T&D planning and operations.
· Guide the growth strategy for consulting services by working closely with Nexant’s management
· Lead business development activities and meet with clients/potential clients
· Identify project opportunities and lead proposal development
· Manage and execute projects using internal resources and subcontractors
· Train and mentor junior engineers
· Other duties as directed.
· BS Degree in Power System Engineering or Electrical Engineering, advanced degrees (MS / PhD) are desirable
· Must be an industry-recognized expert with at least 15-20 years of experience working in electric utility industry
· Must have experience assisting utilities with decarbonization, decentralization and digitization efforts.
· Must have experience with advanced grid modernization projects and have broad knowledge of smart grid technologies worldwide including experience with interconnection and integration of PV, EV and battery energy storage.
· Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to travel overnight approximately 5-20% of the time
Salary and Benefits (U.S.)
Nexant offers competitive salaries based on candidate's qualifications. Nexant also offers three weeks paid vacation per year, eleven paid holidays per year, a 401(k) plan with employee matching funds and an overall comprehensive benefits package.
is a globally recognized software, consulting and services leader that provides
innovative solutions to utilities, energy enterprises, chemical companies and
government entities worldwide. Founded in 2000 and headquartered in San
Francisco, Nexant and its 500+ employees work from 32 global offices providing
deep technical expertise and regional knowledge to improve customer engagement,
boost operational efficiency, reduce costs and achieve superior business
Nexant supports clients through four distinct business units:
- Nexant Energy Software has developed and commercialized a number of industry-leading software platforms and applications, including Nexant iEnergy®, Nexant Grid360™, and Nexant iHedge®
- Nexant Utility Services works with clients to drive customer energy savings, ensure cost-effective program design, implementation and management, and promote customer engagement
- Nexant Energy & Chemicals Advisory provides strategic planning, project development, competitor analysis, market and price forecasting, and NexantThinking™, a subscription program and online product portal .
- Nexant Government Services assists developing countries with energy sector policies, infrastructure, financing, and access to affordable electricity.
Every day, Nexant employees partner with customers to reimagine the world we live in and create a more sustainable energy tomorrow.
Nexant, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.