About the Job
Nexant is looking for an Engineer who has prior experience in the analysis and design of distribution systems and distributed energy resources (DERs) such as rooftop PV-solar, distribution-connected battery energy storage systems, electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) and microgrids, as well as studying the impacts of DERs on the distribution system.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Strong technical understanding of planning and operations of power delivery systems, as well as power industry fundamentals and practices.
- Experience using power system modeling and simulation software such as CYME, ETAP for steady state power flow, voltage, short circuit and electromagnetic transients.
- Strong understanding of technical characteristics of DERs such as battery storage, rooftop PV solar, EVSE, smart inverters and microgrids.
- Experience with the high-level design of electrical systems associated with DERs and microgrids, including developing one-line diagrams and high-level cost estimates.
- Basic understanding of the operations and economics of DERs and knowledge of DER design tools such as HOMER and DER-CAM.
- Knowledge of applicable codes and standards related to DERs such as IEEE 1547.
- Knowledge of protection, harmonic analysis and flicker is a plus.
- Knowledge of DER cost-benefit analysis is a plus.
- Basic knowledge of SCADA, controls and communication in the utility industry is a plus.
- Basic knowledge of building energy management systems is a plus.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor or Advanced Degree in Electrical Engineering with 4+ years of experience in distribution system analysis and the electrical design of DERs.
- Registered Professional Electrical Engineer is a plus.
- Utility experience is a plus
- Must be able to travel locally, nationally or internationally up to approximately 10-15% of the time.
Salary and Benefits (U.S.)
Nexant offers competitive salaries based on candidate's qualifications. Nexant also offers three weeks paid vacation per year, eleven paid holidays per year, a 401(k) plan with employee matching funds and an overall comprehensive benefits package.
Nexant is a globally recognized software, consulting and services leader that provides innovative solutions to utilities, energy enterprises, chemical companies and government entities worldwide. Founded in 2000 and headquartered in San Francisco, Nexant and its 500+ employees work from 26 global offices providing deep technical expertise and regional knowledge to improve customer engagement, boost operational efficiency, reduce costs and achieve superior business results.
Nexant supports clients through four distinct business units:
• Nexant Utility Services works with clients to drive customer energy savings, ensure cost-effective program design, implementation and management, and promote customer engagement
• Nexant Energy Software has developed and commercialized a number of industry-leading software platforms and applications, including Nexant iEnergy®, Nexant Grid360™, and Nexant iHedge®
• Nexant Energy & Chemicals Advisory provides strategic planning, project development, competitor analysis, market and price forecasting, and NexantThinking™, a subscription program and online product portal.
• Nexant Government Services assists developing countries with energy sector policies, infrastructure, financing, and access to affordable electricity.
Every day, Nexant employees partner with customers to reimagine the world we live in and create a more sustainable energy tomorrow.
Nexant, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.