About the Job
The Project Accounting Manager is an important position in Nexant’s F&A department and will be responsible for managing the day to day activities of the company’s worldwide Project Accounting group. This group handles all contract accounting and billing-related activities including project set-up, project invoicing, revenue recognition, and monthly revenue close. The position reports to the Controller and is based in San Francisco.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide leadership and supervision to the project accounting group to ensure project revenues and accounts receivables are recorded in accordance with Nexant’s procedures and US GAAP including revenue recognition ASC 606
• Day-to-day activities include supervising a team of 6-8 project accountants to ensure timely and accurate project set-up and invoicing. Monitor unbilled and billed AR balances to stay on target with the company’s DSO goal. Responsible for various operational project accounting tasks such as invoicing review and posting.
• In charge of month and year end close activities for revenue and AR including detailed project revenue review; identification and problem solving of any revenue or system related issues so the monthly close schedule is followed. Reconcile revenue, AR, and unbilled AR sub-ledgers to General Ledger at month end.
• Assist in Financial Audit preparation, execution, and conclusion. Assist in Federal Governmental audit preparation and support when needed.
• Prepare financial reports and ad hoc revenue research and analysis to Finance & Executive management as requested.
• Act as a liaison between the Project Accounting group and the Business Units with respect to contract or project accounting process issues. Serve as a business advisor for the Business Units on finance related contract questions.
• Provide leadership and supervision to direct reports. Align individual project accountant’s goals with that of department and company. Manage project accountants’ performance to prepare for staff growth and development. Lead staff meetings and ad hoc workgroups as needed.
• Continuously seek to improve the project accounting systems, tools & procedures to enhance and improve the group’s overall effectiveness.
• Ability to proactively identify and mitigate areas of financial risk.
• Other duties as assigned.
• 10+ years of related experience, preferably at least 4 years with Project Accounting
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or good understanding of accounting acquired from work experience
• 3-5+ years of experience with supervising professionals, preferably Project Accountants
• Basic knowledge of contract accounting revenue recognition Experience with US Federal Governmental contracts a big plus
• Hands-on experience with a major ERP system a must
• Experience with Oracle a plus
• Excellent Excel skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to communicate effectively with all levels of professionals
• Interest in system and process improvement tasks
• Detail oriented and able to meet deadlines
Salary and Benefits (U.S.)
Nexant offers competitive salaries based on candidate's qualifications. Nexant also offers three weeks paid vacation per year, eleven paid holidays per year, a 401(k) plan with employee matching funds and an overall comprehensive benefits package.
Nexant is a globally recognized software, consulting and services leader that provides innovative solutions to utilities, energy enterprises, chemical companies and government entities worldwide. Founded in 2000 and headquartered in San Francisco, Nexant and its 500+ employees work from 26 global offices providing deep technical expertise and regional knowledge to improve customer engagement, boost operational efficiency, reduce costs and achieve superior business results.
Nexant supports clients through four distinct business units:
• Nexant Energy Software has developed and commercialized a number of industry-leading software platforms and applications, including Nexant iEnergy®, Nexant Grid360™, and Nexant iHedge®
• Nexant Utility Services works with clients to drive customer energy savings, ensure cost-effective program design, implementation and management, and promote customer engagement
• Nexant Energy & Chemicals Advisory provides strategic planning, project development, competitor analysis, market and price forecasting, and NexantThinking™, a subscription program and online product portal.
• Nexant Government Services assists developing countries with energy sector policies, infrastructure, financing, and access to affordable electricity.
Every day, Nexant employees partner with customers to reimagine the world we live in and create a more sustainable energy tomorrow.
Nexant, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.