Job Description: Director / Senior Director for SOCOM and Defense Sales
goTenna is building the world’s most intelligent and scalable mobile mesh networks. Our protocols and devices are designed to enable off-grid connectivity and augment traditional communications networks. goTenna mesh networking turns everything in the world around us into programmable mobile infrastructure to decentralize connectivity and unlock society’s last-mile.
About the role
The Director for SOCOM and Defense Sales will be responsible for developing and executing a sales strategy that encompasses the Department of Defense, with an emphasis on prioritizing opportunities in the Special Operations Community units within the DOD market. You will create demand for goTenna’s products and services through engagement and product awareness of government end users, program offices, and R&D organizations. You will be responsible both for expanding current relationships and developing new organizations. A successful candidate will have a proven record of combining end user and headquarters support to lead to rapid procurement and adoption of goTenna capabilities. This position manages multiple sales representatives and is responsible for optimizing the territories those positions cover. This role requires travel — you should expect to be on the road 50-75% of the time. This role reports to the Chief Growth Officer. This position may be remote and located in the Washington, DC surrounding area.
● Develop and execute on a strategy to identify the most promising DOD and SOCOM markets that will meet the company’s revenue and strategic goals
● Set and achieve bookings and revenue targets that drive goTenna’s business forward
● Draft white papers and proposals to answer government solicitations
● Identify customer capability gaps and be able to articulate to a variety of audiences - including end user operators, uniformed command staff, civilian program managers, procurement officials, and senior government policy makers, how goTenna products will close capability gaps and make the warfighter safer and more effective
● Manage a team of sales managers and ensure they are working cohesively to meet the company’s goals
● Be familiar with all of goTenna’s current and future product lines and service offerings
● Build and maintain relationships with relevant customer stakeholders, including unit-level, command level, and program office level
● Be trained on goTenna equipment and capable of running demos for customers with little or no assistance
● Contribute to company-level strategic conversations and strategy that pertain to the Department of Defense
● Engage cross-functionally with other goTenna departments to provide feedback on customer requirements, opportunities for improvement, and provide input to improve goTenna’s ability to serve customers
● Be a team player: no task is too small. If paperwork needs to be done, get it done. If a critical customer deployment requires another set of hands, jump in
● 7+ years of relevant experience selling technology to command staff/senior civilian levels within the Department of Defense at the Program of Record level
● 3+ years managing a sales, sales operations team, customer delivery team, or equivalent
● Experience Strong familiarity with government procurement methods and procurement vehicles, such as but not limited to DLA, TLS, SBIR, etc.
● Uniformed, civilian, contractor experience or equivalent working in the Defense, National Security, or Intelligence space
● Experience using Salesforce or similar CRM to actively manage a portfolio of many accounts and associated opportunities.
● Strong leadership skills, excellent communication (presentation, written, and verbal), and relationship building skills.
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a Business, Engineering, Defense, or related field.
● Must be able to travel internationally
● Demonstrated knowledge of business development processes, pursuit development, proposals and negotiations.
● Past experience establishing a new program of record either from the public or private sector perspective
● Understanding of communications equipment & its competitive landscape.
● Experience using similar or related military communications equipment in the field.
● Practical understanding of use cases, product development, technology transitioning, and system integration into foreign military applications.
● Experience conducting and directing competitive product analysis using market research techniques and a solid technical understanding of service/agency needs and requirements.
● Experience leading and submitting proposals to US government customers.
● Advanced management or executive training or experience.
● An active security clearance or the ability to obtain one
goTenna is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
ITAR: U.S. Citizen or Green Card Required
Placement at the appropriate job level (entry, senior, etc) will be determined by a combination of years of experience, demonstration of proficiency in this field, and other qualifications.
Able to lift 30 Ibs.
Parental Leave with Pay
Holiday pay (including December recess)
Medical, Dental, Vision and life insurance
Short- and Long-term disability plans
Professional Education Stipend