Job Description: Firmware Engineer
goTenna is building the world’s most intelligent and scalable mobile mesh networks. Our protocols and devices are designed to enable off-grid connectivity and augment traditional communications networks. goTenna mesh networking turns everything in the world around us into programmable mobile infrastructure to decentralize connectivity and unlock society’s last-mile.
About the Role:
goTenna is looking to hire a firmware engineer to develop software for goTenna Mesh and Pro products. You are responsible for the design, development, testing, and debugging of Bluetooth, RF, and Mesh protocols. Additionally, you will develop board support packages for new hardware, and optimize performance for current and future products. In addition to working with the Director of Firmware Engineering, you will also be part of a team of engineers working on web & mobile development, wireless networking protocols, hardware, and quality assurance. Always seeking ways to improve productivity and quality, you will contribute to the overall evolution of our Agile process. This role will begin in a Hybrid capacity, onsite at our Brooklyn, NY Headquarters.
- Coding, testing, and productizing networking stacks on multiple goTenna platforms
- Design, implement, and test firmware modules in embedded C, such as Bluetooth, RF, USB, board support package
- Develop and test new code for new products, consisting of new MCU, FGPA, and/or PCB
- Develop unit test plans and unit test firmware
- Conduct research and development on new protocol development
- Bachelor or Master’s in engineering (CS, EE, or related field), preferably with a communications background or relevant work experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience in embedded systems development
- Experience implementing networking/RF/Bluetooth/USB stacks on embedded platforms
- Demonstrated experience in real-time operating systems (RTOS)
- Strong coding skills in C, and C++. Experience with Python is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to work in small form factor embedded systems and resource-constrained hardware
- Experience working with low-level hardware, developing low-level drivers, and bootloaders, and developing board support packages.
- Familiar with ARM Cortex, gdb, Git/GitHub, Jenkins
- Experience in wireless communications or mesh networking
- Experience with Linux Network, TCP/IP stack, SDWAN
- Experience working at a tech
- An affinity for people who like telling jokes, sharing funny links, doing cool stuff outside work, and try to be creative about team-building (e.g. survival skills training, murder mystery dinner theater, shuffleboard tournament, Mafia/Werewolf).
- Love for goTenna and our mission to build a distributed communication network from the ground up!
ITAR: U.S. Citizen or Green Card Required
Placement at the appropriate job level (entry, senior, etc) will be determined by a combination of years of experience, demonstration of proficiency in this field, and other qualifications.
goTenna is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- 401(k) plan
- Unlimited PTO
- Parental Leave with Pay
- Holiday pay (including December recess)
- Medical, Dental, Vision and life insurance
- Pre-tax benefits
- Short- and Long-term disability plans
- Professional Education Stipend