Job Description: Android Engineer
goTenna is building the world’s most intelligent and scalable mobile mesh networks. Our protocols and devices are designed to enable off-grid connectivity and augment traditional communications networks. goTenna mesh networking turns everything in the world around us into programmable mobile infrastructure to decentralize connectivity and unlock society’s last-mile.
About the Role
The Android Engineer will build Android applications, and work with our Product and Design teams to develop new ideas, explore new opportunities, and maintain Android application development. The right candidate can work independently and can mentor others in a manner that helps them grow by sharing experience and wisdom in a way that is easily understandable. In this role, you’ll report to the Lead, Mobile Software, and will support them in enforcing architecture practices and project integration with android applications. You’ll be expected to write code that is designed to be reusable and shared amongst other teams, which will include understanding which pattern is the best for a given job.
This position is based in Brooklyn, NY but may be remote eligible.
● Contributing to the design, building, testing, optimization, and maintenance of the goTenna Android mobile apps and goTenna Android SDK
● Collaborating with the firmware and full-stack team
● Supporting the QA team to ensure reliability and stability of the Android app along with the goTenna hardware
● Assisting product management teams to define, implement and develop new features with the user in mind
● Dedication to keeping the highest quality, maintainability, and flexibility in code by strictly adhering to best practices and guidelines (coding standards, version control, peer reviews, manager feedback, etc)
● Commitment to a highly collaborative team’s goals to implement the latest development frameworks and techniques (Jetpack, MVVM, Material Design, etc)
● Architect and build projects using Kotlin for Android
● Maintain and support existing Android apps
● Work with other teams to help solve technical problems
● Mentor other engineers on the team
● B.S. degree in computer science or related engineering field
● 2+ years experience developing commercially shipped apps for Android (in Java or Kotlin), in a professional environment
● Kotlin and MVVM experience
● Ability to adhere to our internal Coding Standards in order to produce clean, bug-free, maintainable and shareable code
● Ability to develop complex mobile apps while optimizing for efficiency and stability
● Ability to collaborate with UI/UX designers, as well as understand and implement Android Material Design with the absence of UI/UX designs
● Experience with Git and or other Version Control Systems
● Experience writing UI and Unit Tests
● Willingness to learn Swift and assist with iOS initiatives
● Experience using IoT projects or Bluetooth
● Experience working on government-focused projects
● Experience with Bluetooth apps & familiarity with Android’s Bluetooth SDK
● Experience with IOS and Swift development
● Experience with Android SDK development
● Experience using Map frameworks (MapBox, Google Maps, etc)
● C/C++ or Swift experience
● Experience with RESTful APIs and connection to backend server
● Experience with encryption, security, and PKI frameworks
● Familiarity with agile/lean methodologies (Scrum, Kanban)
● Preference for working in the innovative, fast-paced environment of ap
● An affinity for people who like telling jokes, sharing funny links, do cool stuff outside work, and try to be creative about team-building (e.g. survival skills training, murder mystery dinner theater, shuffleboard tournament, Mafia/Werewolf).
● Love for goTenna and our mission to build a distributed communication network from the ground-up!
ITAR: U.S. Citizen or Green Card Required
Placement at the appropriate job level (entry, senior, etc) will be determined by a combination of years of experience, demonstration of proficiency in this field, and other qualifications.
goTenna is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- 401(k) plan
- Unlimited PTO
- Parental Leave with Pay
- Holiday pay (including December recess)
- Medical, Dental, Vision and life insurance
- Pre-tax benefits
- Short- and Long-term disability plans
- Professional Education Stipend