OPT Industries (http://optindustries.com) is a rapidly growing, venture-backed MIT spinoff company that is focused on building the next generation of additive manufacturing technology. Working at the intersection of automation engineering, computational design, and polymer science, we design and commercially manufacture highly customizable materials and products – everything from medical devices to luxury fashion.
Position Summary: Responsible for engineering/technical aspects of 3D printing and automation equipment design, installation, and troubleshooting with a focus on hands on electro-mechanical support.
- Support selection and integration of electrical and mechanical components including motors, sensors, actuators, and controllers into well organized, cohesive, and optimized systems.
- Ensure reliability and safety of electrical systems within existing manufacturing equipment and control boxes.
- Ensure electromechanical systems meet applicable industry standards, regulations, and safety requirements.
- Design and improve upon existing wiring systems for automation and 3D printers.
- Assemble new printing and automation equipment to exiting drawings and prototype equipment. Trouble shoot any drawing discrepancies and make corrections while working to aggressive timelines.
- Trouble shoot equipment failures, perform root cause analysis, and adjust equipment, training, and preventative maintenance and troubleshooting guides to prevent future events.
- Work cross functionally on project teams, partnering with Advanced Manufacturing, Sustaining Engineering, Platform and R&D teams to support continuous improvement and new equipment development initiatives.
- Analyze production data to identify trends, patterns, and opportunities for process optimization. Lead continuous improvement efforts from a process and equipment standpoint.
- Design/Update electromechanical systems drawings/schematics in CAD.
- Performs additional duties and assignments as directed by management.
- BS Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Electromechanical Engineering. Preference for at least 2 years of professional experience related to automation or 3D printing equipment design or supporting manufacturing equipment.
- Experience working with electrical wiring and automation control systems.
- Comfortable and competent working hands on with automation/manufacturing equipment.
- Experience with CAD and other engineering software.
- Excellent analytical skills, with the ability to analyze complex data and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Preference for Experience working with:
- 3D printing equipment or optics systems used in a manufacturing setting.
- Internally developed equipment where external support may be minimal.
- Controls/electronics used in fully automated manufacturing equipment.
OPT Industries is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individual's race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.