OPT Industries (http://optindustries.com) is a rapidly growing, venture-backed MIT spinoff company that focuses on building the next generation of additive manufacturing technology. Working at the intersection of automation engineering, computational design and polymer science, we design and commercially manufacture highly customizable materials and products - everything from medical devices to luxury fashion. Materials are at the core of what we do.
As we continue to expand our operation, we are looking for an experienced engineer to improve processing methods to meet a diverse range of performance targets for our customers’ products. Candidates must be self-motivated, possess excellent communication skills, and be excited to collaborate with a dynamic team to bring material solutions to the world’s top-tier brands.
The location for this position is Medford, MA, USA.
- Engaging with the team in new material research ideas and prototypes
- Building the process optimization team within the R&D function
- Collaborating with a talented team with diverse engineering and design backgrounds to drive priorities
- Responsible for creating and executing DOEs (design of experiments) for optimizing the pilot scale process to produce 3D printed parts, to obtain the best material performance of 3D printed parts and to maximize yield
- Perform statistical data analysis on gathered data
- Responsible for finalizing the process variables in pilot scale for optimal design performance and communicating with production team. Document work in compliance with quality standards such as ISO9001
- Document pilot scale work and ensure traceability of lots for samples produced. Will be responsible for leading trouble shooting while encountering various issues during pilot scale printing
- Work closely with R&D design team and R&D polymer team to produce 3D printed parts that meet customer requirements. Work within the framework of OPT’s project management process
- Responsible for maintaining prototype 3D printing machine and post processing equipment
- Bachelor’s in engineering degrees in materials science, mechanical engineering or other relevant work experiences
- 5+ years working in industry, working in optimization of a process or processes
- Six sigma Green Belt project leadership training (DMAIC) is preferred
- Ability to independently design critically controlled experiments and analyze / interpret data
- Strong problem-solving skills. Pragmatic over philosophy. Training in Kepner Tragoe problem solving or a similar methodology is preferred (not necessary)
- Self-sufficient and proactive. Strong observational skills and high attention to detail and organization
- Great communicating skills