Senior Mechatronics Engineer
OPT Industries optindustries.com is a rapidly growing, Series A venture-backed MIT spinoff company that focuses on building the next generation of additive manufacturing technology. Working at the intersection of automation engineering, computational design and polymer science, we design and commercially manufacture highly customizable materials and products- everything from medical devices to luxury fashion.
Our mission is to transform products by taking an integrated approach from design to manufacturing. As we continue to expand our operation, we are looking for an experienced mechatronics engineer to develop OPT’s next-generation additive manufacturing platform. Candidates must be self-motivated, possess excellent communication skills, and excited to collaborate with a dynamic team.
The location for this position is Medford, MA, USA.
- Own the design, development, and deployment of electronics and firmware for OPT’s 3D printers.
- Research, test, and deploy new sensors to monitor and improve the 3D printing process.
- Work across teams to assess user needs for 3D printer firmware, and prioritize their development.
- Communicate with vendors to evaluate new components and troubleshoot existing ones. Support the team with issue debugging down to the schematic or code level.
- Develop best practices and tools to enable team excellence and incubate new technologies to evolve OPT’s manufacturing platform. Ensure software development complies with the requirements for manufacturing standards.
- Build and lead a team of electrical and firmware engineers through early prototyping, design and deployment to OPT’s Operations team.
Requirements (not all are strictly required, but will need most of these skills)
- Solid electrical engineering knowledge (sensors, circuit components, and system integration)
- Experience with PLC units and integration
- Experience with Python
- Experience with Robot Operating System (ROS)
- Experience with low-level communication protocols (I2C, USB, UART)
- Familiarity with Linux and troubleshooting Linux systems
- Experience with computer vision systems is preferred but not required.
- Ability to take the initiative to scope out projects
- Strong communication skills and team-oriented mindset